what subjects should I choose for an astrophysics Career?

hello everyone. I am trying to choose which subjects to have in a HL. I know that I have to take HL physics, that one is sorted and decided. but i am wondering if I should have math HL. the career counselor of my school tells me that I am capable of doing it, but my credits would decrease as it is a really tough subject and that is the important stuff. but I also know that I might need to have the knowledge for what is thought in math HL. i really do not know whether is better to have a 6-7's on math SL  or to take it HL and to have 4-5's but I would know more content. help please. i need togive them in 3 days. 

if it's helpful, these are the subjects I've chosen

English SL

French SL

Economics HL

Physics HL

Math HL or SL?

Chemistry HL 

(I was told to chose 4 HL to have a back up plan, one will be dropped afterwards)

thank you 

Edited by Laura Serrano Rodriguez

I suggest that you do

HL:

Physics

Chemistry

Math

(the rest SL)

Personally, I would not do 4 HLs because it is way too much work for me to handle since I already have positions in many clubs and I volunteer every month. However, if you can do it, put your mind to it and also manage your time well (VERY IMPORTANT) then go ahead and try it out. My friend is planning on doing astrophysics and he is perfectly fine with those 3 HLs.

Edited by winnizzle_
grammar
  • Like 1

I suggest you check out the past papers for SL and HL respectively then decide if it looks too complicated or not, you can check out www.bacguy.wordpress.com, to get access to these papers.

I would recommend only 3 HLs, Math, Physics and Chem

Econ SL, French SL and Eng SL,

Trust me it would be easier 

• 8 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 6:13 PM, Jipta said:

Sorry to hijack this post, but if why chemistry? Wouldn't something like Computer Science be more useful (if it is offered), or is there a advantage in taking Chem? 

hahaha, don't be sorry. I need as many thoughts as I can get with this as I do not know what to choose. Sadly my school does not offer Computer Science, otherwise I would have taken it.

And the only advantage of me taking chem HL that I would have more science background. I asked the Head Science Teacher and she said that I would not really need chem for astrophysics. But my concern is mostly the Math HL work, I do not know if it will be too much for me to handle. 

Edited by Laura Serrano Rodriguez

• 10 months later...