Is it wrong to console yourself this way?

Befuddled

There's definitely been a time when we all wanted what someone else took for granted/could easily get for themselves. And then we get mad for not having it ourselves. After which we might think of even more underprivileged people than us who couldn't have what we do. Let it be materialistic, happiness, ability, or something else. 

But is it wrong to console ourselves by thinking of people who have even less? Isn't it after all just a variant of a sadistic nature? Making ourselves feel happy because others are incapable?

To extend this to the extreme, is sadism a part of human nature?

What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, you are hinting at schadenfreude. (There's a song from Avenue Q, "schadenfreude," about this very topic. [It's got adult language/themes or I would post it here as I think it does a good job at pointing out the normality of being happy at the misfortune of others.]) 

There's also a part of a Simpsons episode that deals with the concept:

I think that as long as we live in a society that values having material goods we are going to be envious of those who have more than we do. Along the same lines, having more things than the next person makes us happy.