IB year one vs year two

macbakeib88

Hi, 

I am currently in my first year of IB, and there is only about 12 weeks of school left until summer break. I was just wondering what is the difference between IBY1 and the second year of IB? Is there a lot more pressure and stress in Y2, and is it hard to balance everything in year two compared to year one? I was also wondering whether the teachers would treat you differently if you're in your second year of IB compared to the first. 

Any comments will be appreciated! 

Thank you :)

Yes, IB2 is generally more stressful because of IA , WA and EE submissions. Furthermore, in my school the IOC's, IOP's, Second Language Speaking Exams, The TOK Presentation and Essay are all done in the first semester of IB2.

Edited by Vighnesh

I think it depends on how your school structures deadlines for all the IAs. The first term of IB2 was pretty much hell for me. We got back from the summer break, and immediately all these deadlines were thrown at us, along with university applications. I had to plan, start and finish my bio, chem and math IAs, along with my written assignment for mandarin. My FOA and WT was done later, around Jan, so it wasn't as stressful, but from August to December, I was constantly overworked and very very tired. EE and TOK was another headache, we had our presentations and EE finished in that period. Trying to study and learn normal content during that time was nearly impossible, which is probably why I'm so stressed and worried about revising the syllabus. 

I realise what I'm saying does seem very scary, but this is just my honest opinion. It really depends on how your school structures things, but generally IBY2 is pretty horrible. 

The teachers don't really treat us any differently, I feel. Maybe they're a bit more lenient? I can't really tell:hmmm:

In terms of tips and advice, try and revise all the content you learn in IB1 during the summer, finish CAS and as much of EE as you can, as well as uni apps. If you need volunteering and work experience for uni, get that done in the summer. It is vital you revise because it saves you so much stress and time later on. Try and have a think of what you'd like to do in terms of IA, but don't go beyond that because it's important to get your teacher's advice. 

Hope this helps :proud:

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 6:36 AM, yara560 said:

I think it depends on how your school structures deadlines for all the IAs. The first term of IB2 was pretty much hell for me. We got back from the summer break, and immediately all these deadlines were thrown at us, along with university applications. I had to plan, start and finish my bio, chem and math IAs, along with my written assignment for mandarin. My FOA and WT was done later, around Jan, so it wasn't as stressful, but from August to December, I was constantly overworked and very very tired. EE and TOK was another headache, we had our presentations and EE finished in that period. Trying to study and learn normal content during that time was nearly impossible, which is probably why I'm so stressed and worried about revising the syllabus. 

I realise what I'm saying does seem very scary, but this is just my honest opinion. It really depends on how your school structures things, but generally IBY2 is pretty horrible. 

The teachers don't really treat us any differently, I feel. Maybe they're a bit more lenient? I can't really tell:hmmm:

In terms of tips and advice, try and revise all the content you learn in IB1 during the summer, finish CAS and as much of EE as you can, as well as uni apps. If you need volunteering and work experience for uni, get that done in the summer. It is vital you revise because it saves you so much stress and time later on. Try and have a think of what you'd like to do in terms of IA, but don't go beyond that because it's important to get your teacher's advice. 

Hope this helps :proud:

Definitely agree. Stay mentally prepared for the work coming ahead of you and you'll feel better.

In terms of teachers treating you differently, that's mainly a problem for students who don't turn in anything: IA's, EE, TOK etc. At my school, the CAS coordinator got so tired of people waiting to even start turning in CAS forms until the end of year 2, so he made it a rule saying that you couldn't go to prom if you didn't have them in by February of year 2. As long as you don't annoy your teachers like that, however, teachers shouldn't be too much of a problem.