Hi all,

I'm currently doing a mock TOK presentation and I have gotten my main RLS and the RLS that I will link everything back to in the end. 

The AoKs that I am focusing on are Ethics and partially History. The WoKs that I chose are reason and emotion. Specifically, I am trying to focus on how ethical decisions can be justified by reason and emotion. I still need news example for the counterclaim and claim. I have two claims; The first being that reason is the most reliable justification for an ethical decision and the second being that emotion is not a reliable justification for ethical decisions. My two counterclaims are basically the opposite of the claims. These claims are derived from the main RLS of mine which is the revoking of the net neutrality law. These claims are then later further validated by my other RLS for the ending when we link back to the main RLS and another RLS that is different but relevant. 

This is what it currently looks like:

RLS: Net neutrality law was removed

Definitions: Ethical decision making and Emotion

1. Claim: Reasoning is the most reliable justification for an ethical decision

Example: ?

2. Counterclaim:

Example: ?

3. Claim: Emotion can cloud one’s ability to make ethical decisions 

Example: ? (Possible psychology study)

4. Counterclaim: Emotion strengthens the justification of ethical decisions

Example: ? (Something about religion)

Link back to original RLS and then link to China's strict omission of information both online and physically.

I need help to find issues or news that are linked to this topic since I had only found two so far. I will appreciate any sort of recent publications that I could link back to my KQ. Any news or issue suggestions for Claims or counterclaims will be greatly appreciated.

If I am at risk of being plagiarised, please tell me.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ImAcatnow
I needed to add more detail

Hi there, just a suggestion, my TOK teacher always told me that ethics is not necessarily the best AoK to use, as there are quite a few grey areas and it gets complicated. It might be better to revise your claims, maybe instead of focusing on ethical decisions, change it to decisions? This would make it a bit more general and more like a second order knowledge question and could allow you to look at different AoKs, which as a result may make it easier to find more RLS. You might want to double check with your ToK teacher though and make sure what you're doing is okay. Hope this helps!

16 hours ago, yara560 said:

Hi there, just a suggestion, my TOK teacher always told me that ethics is not necessarily the best AoK to use, as there are quite a few grey areas and it gets complicated. It might be better to revise your claims, maybe instead of focusing on ethical decisions, change it to decisions? This would make it a bit more general and more like a second order knowledge question and could allow you to look at different AoKs, which as a result may make it easier to find more RLS. You might want to double check with your ToK teacher though and make sure what you're doing is okay. Hope this helps!

Hi, thank you for the input. My teacher had previously informed the whole class that the way to format the KQ is by explicitly stating the AoK hence my question's focus on ethics. I also chose ethics as it interested me and I'm planning to link it with philosophy and psychology when explaining hence the use of the term "ethical decision making" and "emotion". I guess all ToK teachers have their different opinions but I'll take your advice into consideration.

I agree with @yara560 that ethics as main AoK should be avoided because ethics is often treated separate from theory of knowledge, in the broader discipline of philosophy.
Consider using some personal examples, including when you personally have to make certain ethical decisions.

You should look for claims arising out of your RLS, then apply them to other contexts. You can start just by listing related statements or inferences, then modify them to sound TOK-like. For example, net neutrality could be imposed as an emotional desire to maintain a sense of freedom. Another example of using emotion to upheld a sense of righteousness could be jury giving a guilty verdict even though evidence not strong. Then, should jurors be follow a strictly rational or evidence-based reasoning, or be allowed to make judgments otherwise? That was an example of exploring both emotion and reason from the original RLS. You can continue this exercise to find additional examples and claims or counterclaims. Basically you just write down everything you can think of and pick top handful to use in your presentation.