Should I drop from Math SL to Math Studies?

Sope

Hi there! So I've been wondering for a while now- should I drop from Math SL to Math Studies? I'm currently averaging a 6 in Math SL, but I feel like with the steady increase of work I might not be able to cope up with it and fear that my grade might drop significantly (I already scored a 4 on a test that we did recently...) . I want to study Politics/International Relations/History/Economics at uni (undecided major- I'll probably end up double majoring) so really, do I need Math SL (I ask this because Econ is one of my major options) ??

Please help!

Whether or not you need Math SL depends on the course and the uni you apply to, but I will say this - math studies is usually not sufficient enough for most courses. I'm not too sure about the courses you have mentioned though, so try and look at the unis you are thinking of applying to and their respective courses. If you're averaging a 6 at the moment, this is pretty good considering how far into the course you are, so I think you might be okay, but you are the best judge of your own abilities. In terms of workload, it is quite consistent, disregarding the IAs that pop up in DP2, so think about this and whether you can keep this up. It really depends on whether you are struggling with concepts or the quantity of work itself. Hope this helped!

Edited by yara560

1 hour ago, yara560 said:

Whether or not you need Math SL depends on the course and the uni you apply to, but I will say this - math studies is usually not sufficient enough for most courses. I'm not too sure about the courses you have mentioned though, so try and look at the unis you are thinking of applying to and their respective courses. If you're averaging a 6 at the moment, this is pretty good considering how far into the course you are, so I think you might be okay, but you are the best judge of your own abilities. In terms of workload, it is quite consistent, disregarding the IAs that pop up in DP2, so think about this and whether you can keep this up. It really depends on whether you are struggling with concepts or the quantity of work itself. Hope this helped!

I won't say I'm struggling with the workload- it's just that I feel like if I dropped to Studies, I'd be able to focus more on my HLs. I'm doing well in those too (currently averaging at 6 6 7) but I feel like I can do so much better. It's just the uni part I'm having issues with......

9 hours ago, Sope said:

I won't say I'm struggling with the workload- it's just that I feel like if I dropped to Studies, I'd be able to focus more on my HLs. I'm doing well in those too (currently averaging at 6 6 7) but I feel like I can do so much better. It's just the uni part I'm having issues with......

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your teacher about this, or at least look at potential universities for the courses you feel you might want to do - look at their requirements and see if they require math SL. From my experience, most universities I looked at don't consider math studies as sufficient enough for math qualifications, but again try and talk to a teacher about it after you've looked at the university requirements.  

On 3/29/2018 at 3:35 AM, yara560 said:

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your teacher about this, or at least look at potential universities for the courses you feel you might want to do - look at their requirements and see if they require math SL. From my experience, most universities I looked at don't consider math studies as sufficient enough for math qualifications, but again try and talk to a teacher about it after you've looked at the university requirements.  

Thank you :) I looked into my choice uni requirements and I've decided to keep Math SL

On 3/28/2018 at 10:25 PM, Sope said:

I think you should not drop to Math Studies since most university courses really require at least SL Math. Unless the course you are taking does not require SL Math, I seriously discourage you from dropping SL Math to Math studies.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, Lixter said:

I think you should not drop to Math Studies since most university courses really require at least SL Math. Unless the course you are taking does not require SL Math, I seriously discourage you from dropping SL Math to Math studies.

I checked my preferred uni requirements and have decided to stay in Math SL :)