what did you do for your global politics IA?

mawinnie

I'm really confused about the personal engagement stuff that we need to prepare for the global politics IA, so could anyone provide some examples on what they did, or what I can do? I've been looking into human rights but am unsure how I can engage with the issue.

Thanks!

It's difficult depending on where you live, but you need to find a way to be involved with the issue in a local setting. Being in South Africa, it was relatively easy for me to get involved with efforts to increase tertiary enrolment rates (my topic), but I'd say developing countries are at an advantage (for once) with this assignment. If you have a CAS project that does community outreach stuff, that could help. Maybe if there's a women's clinic in your area? Or a NGO that's trying to get kids to further their education? Or a group trying to help get clean water to areas that need it? Just try and find something local that is trying to contribute to political/social/developmental change in your area. 

I looked at education as a human right, and how women are deprived of it here in South Africa due to things like social stigmas, HIV/AIDS, teenage pregnancy, and the need to stay home for household duties. I engaged with the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy which is a school that ensures young South African women from disadvantaged backgrounds get quality secondary and tertiary education, which provides a positive impact on South African development in the future. It's a measure of sustainable development, instead of just throwing money at an issue.