I got a grade 2 in IB Maths SL, is it good enough?

2000px

Hello everybody,

So i did the IB exams may 2017 and I ended up with a final result of 27 points which I am quite pleased with considering how I really struggled throughout the programme and was predicted to fail. 

However, the only grade I don't like is the grade 2 I got in Maths SL. I really regret taking SL and wish would have taken Studies instead. I am actually going to resit Maths SL and although I have studied, it has been a struggle to do so independently.

I am interested in applying for UK unis in 2019 and I have found several unis that accept 27 points. (I want to study architecture). Anyway, my question is, if I don't manage to get a better grade, can they overlook my 2 in Maths?

I am thankful for your answers.

Hello there! 

As you may know, 2 points is the bare minimum for any subject. You can only have 1 subject with grade 2 (in both HL and SL) while ensuring that your overall score is more than 26 points. As long as you fulfill this criteria, you will pass the IB programme and if the university course does not require you to pass SL Math, then I think they will overlook your grade 2 in SL Math. 

Hope this helps! :D

@Lixter Thanks for the answer! I did only get one 2. So then a 2 in a subject is not considered you failing that subject?

I know that in Sweden when you convert IB grades to Swedish grades, only a 3 in maths sl is considered passing but maybe thats only for Sweden then. 

Edited by 2000px

3 hours ago, 2000px said:

@Lixter Thanks for the answer! I did only get one 2. So then a 2 in a subject is not considered you failing that subject?

I know that in Sweden when you convert IB grades to Swedish grades, only a 3 in maths sl is considered passing but maybe thats only for Sweden then. 

I am sure only a 1 is seen as a failing grade as you could hand in your papers blank and it'd be given a grade of 1. However, 4 is still the general passing grade, or in Sweden it'd be seen as a "C". 

Edited by NicoIe

9 hours ago, NicoIe said:

I am sure only a 1 is seen as a failing grade as you could hand in your papers blank and it'd be given a grade of 1. However, 4 is still the general passing grade, or in Sweden it'd be seen as a "C". 

Hello Nicole, this is the passing criteria for our school anyways. Perhaps, it is just a feature unique in our school system.