Chemistry HL with Physics or Biology HL?

Mais

Hi...I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I know I'm going to be studying sciences in university, but I'm not exactly sure what type of science I'm getting into. It's a bit stressful because I have my own preferences, while my parents' disagreement with these preferences make me scared to the bone.

I know I want to take Chemistry at Higher Level, but my problem is between biology and physics (+ computer science, but I'd rather NOT get into that.) at HL. You see, I'm studying MYP right now and so far I really enjoy Biology and find it very interesting. As discussed with my careers counsellor, I could take my bachelor in Bio OR Chem and then take my Masters in Biochemistry, which I thought was a great idea because it is two subjects I enjoy (to a certain extent, but I'd also rather NOT get into that). My parents don't think that's a great idea though.

My dad says I'm limiting myself wayyyyyyyyy too much (like a mouse hole kind of too much) if I delve straight into my masters after my bachelor. Sure, I get that. Maybe I'll work with my bachelor in Chem for a while. But that's also very limiting, apparently, and my only option is to take Chemistry and Physics/Computer science to get a bachelor in engineering.

Except I dread Physics/ I'm not-so-great at it. And I've heard it's a death wish to take it at HL if I'm not ready to put in the effort or enjoy it to the fullest. News Flash: I'm not!

(As for computer science, well, I'm not very sure because I've never studied it, but I'd assume I wouldn't be fascinated by the unduly amount of numbers and problem solving that seems to give high-paying jobs all around).

The thing is, I'm not going to get into medicine. Not a doctor or radiologist or pharmacist. And Biology is practically a dead end to my parents, very shameful, if I don't want to be a doctor (which, I repeat, I DO NOT). I'm trying to cooperate with my parents by going into sciences (trust me, it's not my first choice), but I'd like to at least do something I like (to some certain extent). However, it seems like unless I get into computer science or Physics (engineering, really, is assumed to be the only job that'll get you some bucks here), I won't be successful.

I've been told it's best to cry now and not later, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. I think if I take Physics and end up being an engineer I'll be crying 'til the rest of my days. But, at the same time, why should I trust myself? I'm a kid and puberty and hormones and total ignorance makes me rethink my choices in taking Chemistry and Biology at HL. Should I just take Physics and Chemistry and cry in a Ferrari?

Sorry for the rambling. I appreciate any and all responses.

If you are considering taking a third science, you might as well take Chem/Physics HL and Bio SL as a 7th subject. ALL sciences need some physics so it's best to take it early, in high school. Computer science is not useful for the sciences in undergrad, it's more useful for engineering. Some up and coming majors include biomedical engineering, biosystems engineering, nanotechnology, and material sciences, which draws upon multiple sciences and knowledge. 

Edited by kw0573

I know you can't really be like 'lol forget what my parents say I'm just going to do Bio because I enjoy it' but honestly doing subjects you don't like is a dead end in itself - especially when the subject concerned is HL physics, which, as you say, is really difficult.  You say bio is practically 'shameful' to your parents, but honestly it would be better getting a 7 in HL bio because you loved it and were able to put in the work to do well, than a 5 in Physics because your heart wasn't really in it. (And I know its easy to say 'well it doesn't matter if I like it or not; i'll just suck it up and get on with it and study hard' - true, that's possible, but when all the other IB stuff kicks in (IAs, EE, TOK etc) that'll become harder and harder and just make you miserable for no reason, which will inevitably make it harder to do well)

I'm not trying to say 'ignore your parents' advice' but at the end of the day, it's your life and what's most important is you doing things that'll allow you to be happy in the future - and if that's not being an engineer, then it just isn't and that's okay. There are plenty of careers for chem/bio and although they may not be as 'prestigious' as engineering or medicine, if you enjoy what you're doing that's all that matters. Plus, you've already compromised by agreeing to go into the sciences, so it's only fair that you get to pick your own subjects.

good luck! hope that you're happy in whatever you end up doing and manage to work it out with your parents :)

If you knew for sure that you are going into the sciences, maybe IB is not the best program for you. Because of the limitations of IB, you may be better off to going to a STEM focused program, in which you can take at least 3 sciences. I am not sure how much exposure you have to sciences outside of school, but going to a science-focused school allow more time to partake in science extracurriculars and/or reading scientific non-fiction to learn more about science outside of the classroom.

Thank you for the quick replies! Reading over I feel pretty guilty... It seems I've made a bad impression of my parents. They just want what is best for me but are just stating some 'recommendations', so whatever I do choose is definitely up to me, but there's always the influences that make you rethink...  @dxsxnchxntxd I completely agree with you... I think that I would not be missing out if I were to take subjects that I like (and at the same time are academically 'praised') instead of those I don't.

@kw0573 I understand what you're trying to say, except I disagree simply because I do not want my life to revolve around sciences. Maybe career-wise, but I think it's more important to have a scope of different subjects, because in the end, for someone in pre-IB, how would they know what they'd want to do? I've heard so many students plan their subjects for engineering only to get into law and vice versa, and science is one of many things I'd want to get into. Plus, Physics is not something I want to pursue and spend my time doing, so I think my heart skipped a beat when mentioning all three sciences haha.

@Mais I understand. I want to reiterate that in ANY undergrad science program, you need 1-2 semesters of college physics. You should take some high school level physics (which is not the same as Physics HL) to find out how you truly feel about it. When you apply to universities, most science programs require high school physics for application to even be considered. Most arts or social sciences programs do not have as strict entry requirements, so it's not as if you are closing doors by choosing physics over another course.

In summary, you cannot treat DP same as MYP they will be more rigorous and the way you feel about a subject may change (for better or for worse). If you have had difficulties in physics, you should look for ways to take an easy physics course just to be sure you satisfy potential university entry requirements. 

Before you submit your course choices, you should convince your parents that your decision is acceptable. Otherwise potential conflicts could contribute to unnecessary stress in addition to DP.