Issue with 5.3 Classification of Biodiversity

delirious

Hey everyone,

According to the IB biology guide for exams commencing in 2016 onwards, it states in 5.3 that:

"Application: Recognition features of bryophyta, filicinophyta, coniferophyta and angiospermophyta."

There is no mention of requiring recognition features of animal phyla. However, my bio book by Cambridge University press (printed in 2015) and bioninja still has information on recognizing animal phyla.

Could anyone here reconfirm this? Have you guys learned about animal phyla?

Thank you!

No problem! 

Our textbook makes it really clear that we need to know it (thankfully), I'm really shocked to hear that your teacher said you didn't need to. That's really weird.

The same thing is happening to me in other subjects though, I'm so glad I use this website. I'm pretty sure that otherwise, I would completely skip over important material haha.

Hi there, there is mention of animal phyla in the syllabus:

• Application: Recognition features of porifera, cnidaria, platyhelmintha, annelida, mollusca, arthropoda and chordata. 
  • Application: Recognition of features of birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles and fish. 
  • Skill: Construction of dichotomous keys for use in identifying specimens. 

It's also in the textbooks and study guide, so I'm pretty sure this is something we need to know, hope this helps!

On 4/10/2018 at 0:24 PM, poetic-ambition said:

No problem! 

Our textbook makes it really clear that we need to know it (thankfully), I'm really shocked to hear that your teacher said you didn't need to. That's really weird.

The same thing is happening to me in other subjects though, I'm so glad I use this website. I'm pretty sure that otherwise, I would completely skip over important material haha.

I would be dead without the internet trust me

On 4/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, yara560 said:

Hi there, there is mention of animal phyla in the syllabus:

• Application: Recognition features of porifera, cnidaria, platyhelmintha, annelida, mollusca, arthropoda and chordata. 
  • Application: Recognition of features of birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles and fish. 
  • Skill: Construction of dichotomous keys for use in identifying specimens. 

It's also in the textbooks and study guide, so I'm pretty sure this is something we need to know, hope this helps!

You know what I'm so dumb, I looked back and saw it! This is what the mind does when exams come up aha

• Like 2