Feeling Hopeless

yara560

Hi there. 

I'm feeling hopeless at this point with less than 3 weeks - some of my subject grades are not at where they need to be to meet my conditional offer. It's really crucial that I meet this offer but at this point, I feel that anything I do will be useless. I'm just generally feeling very frustrated and hopeless. I can't take afford to feel like this anymore because I've been feeling like this since March and I've taken breaks from my studying but going back to studying on and off. I don't really know what I'm asking for here, this might be a bit of a vent. But I really do feel like I'm in a really bad place atm. I can't concentrate properly and if I do, I manage to get a good few hours of studying but the next day I'm back to square one. Can anyone help? It's alright if no one can really help either, I just kind of need to get these thoughts out. 

Hey there!

I understand where you are coming from. Many students have went through what you are going through where we just do not have any motivation to study. What I do to combat this problem is to keep the end-goal in mind. For example, I always wanted to go to one of my local universities (which is rather competitive) and hence it keeps me in the right mindset during my revision because I finally have a so-called purpose when I am studying; I am studying to get into that dream university of mine. I don't know if this will help you but it is definitely worth a try! By the way, just continue revising and don't over-think about your problems. Even if you can't aim for 45 points, you can set yourself a high goal too! Don't put too much pressure on yourself! 

Anyways, all the best with your exams! If you need someone to talk to/ vent your frustrations, feel free to message me! :D 

You can do it!!! :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lixter said:

Hey there!

I understand where you are coming from. Many students have went through what you are going through where we just do not have any motivation to study. What I do to combat this problem is to keep the end-goal in mind. For example, I always wanted to go to one of my local universities (which is rather competitive) and hence it keeps me in the right mindset during my revision because I finally have a so-called purpose when I am studying; I am studying to get into that dream university of mine. I don't know if this will help you but it is definitely worth a try! By the way, just continue revising and don't over-think about your problems. Even if you can't aim for 45 points, you can set yourself a high goal too! Don't put too much pressure on yourself! 

Anyways, all the best with your exams! If you need someone to talk to/ vent your frustrations, feel free to message me! :D 

You can do it!!! :)

thank you, but I guess what's stressing me out is not being able to reach my goal and go to my university, so it's not a particularly good motivator -_-

thank you very much for the reply and the kind words though!

There are 2 parts to the solution 1) Break large tasks into smaller ones 2) develop good study habits.

Now that IAs are way behind you, there is not really any due date to keep you on track. For each course, you should set goals of what you need to accomplish each week. For example this week could be skimming through all material once and identify weak points. Next week could be getting help on those weak points, and a week for doing past papers. You can prepare such goals with a friend, and at the week's end you can test each other see how much was reviewed and how the goal was accomplished. Being part of a group alleviate feelings of isolation and may motivate you to work diligently.

What is taking up your time from studying? You should work to eliminate those. For example if you are browsing social media, you can make post saying you will be studying for exams and hope others will keep you on track. Try keep study sessions about 5 minute break for 30-40 minute CONTINUOUS intensive studying, without distractions. Go through at least 3-4 sessions each day. One could be in your lunch break. Let your family know of your plans and ask them to monitor your progress and provide emotional support.

In many cases if you have not gotten too many 5s or lower and it's just 1 or maybe 2 point below offer, you can still write to them to see if the conditions can be loosened. In many cases the admissions office can still accept you. 

• Like 2