Help: Physics EE on the variation of cosmic rays

Saguaro

Hello, I am planning on writing an EE in physics. My research question is "How does the intensity of cosmic rays vary over a day and 27 day period at sea level at 50º north". Would this be focused enough?

I am going to use a webcam and an application which can sense the cosmic rays (with proper shielding it should only be one type) and log how many it detects. I have plenty of secondary data as well to compare to mine and use if my experiment doesn't work. My main concern is that I am not quite sure how to write the essay. I have read the IB guide and one we recieved from our school but I am still not sure what it should contain. Should there be any theory about cosmic rays and particle physics or should it all just be about the experiment? Can I talk about the impact of cosmic rays? 

My supervisor told me that the essay should be about 2/3 essay (ie. theory) and 1/3 experiment. But from what I've read it seems that everything should revolve around the experiment, or is this just my misunderstanding? 

I would be very grateful for any advice given on this subject. 

Thank you in advance. 

It makes more sense to have around 1/3 theory and 2/3 experiment. The latter also includes discussion of results and error analysis. Most of theory is discussed in the introduction, in which you can outline importance of studying cosmic rays and theory behind your experiment. Excess theory, such as particle physics in general, is not as relevant if it does not directly impact decision making in your experiment. But if the theory is vital to how your collected data, then it is useful to be included. 

Think of the EE as writing a detective story. You need to have problem/case (EE topic), context- or experience-driven methodology (theory and its relation to experiment set up), clues (data), putting clues together (analysis of data, possibly backed up by theory), solving case (conclusion). The theory will be mostly presented in beginning of EE but may be partially weaved into rest of EE if it is helpful.