45 minute essay tips?

Hey all,

I've been having a lot of trouble writing the 45 minute essays that are assigned in HL History (year 1). Does anyone have any tips or strategies, or possibly well written exemplars, that I could use to improve my style of writing? I think I end up giving too much narrative and not giving as strong of an argument as I should be, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!

In timed essays, dividing time and writing speed is the key. What I do during timed essays is I take at least 3-5 minutes to plan. It is a very rough plan of course. But those few minutes of planning are essential as you can get arguments down rather than just writing aimlessly 

Then it is important to mentally plan out. Such as " I might take 5 minutes on the intro, 10 minutes on the first argument, and 5 minutes on the counter-argument paragraph". And while writing, those arguments that you wrote down in your initial planning may even become developed, as your brain will be "sleeping on it" 

I know these are general tips, but I do hope these help as it's the little things that do! :)

• Like 3

Hey,

So you need to write fast, obviously. Something I like doing is warming my hands up. Whether running hot water over them, sit on them or run them under a hand dryer. It prevents my hand from hurting.

The other thing is practice. Your hand develops strength.

Now that is done. Plan your essays in 5-10 minutes. Don't make it elaborate but like, say 3 key points, examples and historian view. Keep it simple and ensure it stays on point.

Best of luck.

I would have to respectfully disagree with King112 on one particular point. For a 45 minute essay, 5 to 10 minutes of planning is way too much. You should be able to have a rough plan/ outline of the essay in 3 minutes or so. By using any more time, you are penalizing yourself in terms of time. Also, like what the rest had said, you have to practice writing your essays with 45 minutes; do not expect yourself to be able to write at such a fast speed without any practice. 

Hope this helps! :D 

• Thanks 1