Sign in to follow this  

Math HL IA topic

Hi guys, I'm about to submit my IA idea for math and I just want a few pieces of advice choosing one.

Currently, I'm very much interested in cryptography and machine learning which are the topics that I want to do my Math IA on, are these viable ideas? Earlier when I talked to my teacher, he said that writing about the Global Positioning System (GPS) would be a great idea, but I'd much prefer the other two topics. What should I do to ensure that I get a high grade while doing something that I actually enjoy?

In my opinion (as a Math HL student who also wrote his EE in math) I think the most important thing is for you to choose a topic that you're interested in. It's much easier to show personal engagement that way and when writing a conclusion you can talk about why it's relevant and why you think it's interesting. If you're not interested it's hard to talk about that. If you're interested in cryptography and machine learning you should definitely do that. I cannot stress how important it is to be passionate about the topic you're exploring.

I actually did my Math IA on celestial navigation, which is basically GPS. I found it to be interesting but if you're not interested I can imagine it would be difficult to pursue this topic. (I ended up using simultaneous plane equations and polar coordinates :P)

Cryptography has connections to discrete mathematics (especially prime numbers), one of the Math HL options. Perhaps that is something you could look into if you're interested in writing about this topic? The math is definitely within the scope of Math HL...

Best of luck with your IA!

Thank you so much for your reply Kaito! I'm so sorry what I meant were cryptocurrency and the blockchain technology instead of cryptography, I did look into cryptography though (e.g. the RSA cryptosystem, symmetric encryption,...) and proposed that idea to my maths teacher, however, he said that the mathematics was too simple for a Math IA and would score rather poorly on Criterion E. I was thinking of machine learning, in particular, neural networks and deep learning, but I don't know if this is a viable option for the IA.

1 minute ago, deanbrok said:

Thank you so much for your reply Kaito! I'm so sorry what I meant were cryptocurrency and the blockchain technology instead of cryptography, I did look into cryptography though (e.g. the RSA cryptosystem, symmetric encryption,...) and proposed that idea to my maths teacher, however, he said that the mathematics was too simple for a Math IA and would score rather poorly on Criterion E. I was thinking of machine learning, in particular, neural networks and deep learning, but I don't know if this is a viable option for the IA.

To be honest, I have no idea how either cryptography or blockchain technology works so I can't give you any advice on that. However, I recommend that you find a way to clearly link the mathematics behind your topic to part of the Math HL syllabus (or one of the options). If you are able to clearly identify the link and present it there shouldn't be any problem.