Econ IA

Ok so i read in the IA thing that:

What time period should the extract cover?

Extracts should be contemporaneous with the course, but they may include material collected up to six months prior to the start of the last year of the course.

It is helpful to encourage students to collect extracts for their commentaries throughout the course.

Students may then use these extracts at any time to write their commentaries. Students will not be penalized if the date they write a commentary is different from the date of the extract, that is, the date the extract was published does not have to match the date on which the student chooses to write the commentary (provided it is contemporaneous).

And so i should only be able to start collecting stuff in March.

But my teacher, the WORST teacher I have ever had, said that this is just a rule of thumb.

However, I do not trust him at all

So

Does anyone know if it is OK to do articles from now, even though its before the starting time?

So we can't start any commentary now if we begin IB2 in September.? i.e. begin writing in March?

Our teacher told us to start looking for an article NOW :)

The given time frame is up to 6 months prior to the beginning of your course. If you start IB Economics in September 2009, then your article may be from April 2009 and onwards. In other words, there's no point in you looking for an article now because you won't be able to use any of the articles for your actual IA. Unless this is just a practice IA.

So we can't start any commentary now if we begin IB2 in September.? i.e. begin writing in March?

Our teacher told us to start looking for an article NOW :)

EXACTLY

It's NOT a practice IA

How do i tell him? He is leaving at the end of this year so all he does is find ways to screw us all over... It is so annoying...

Thank you all for letting me know that it is NOT a 'rule of thumb'

Can anyone PLEASE find a website that says BEYOND A DOUBT that it MUST be within this timeframe? Or some evidence?

I am tired of him thinking he can do whatever he wants... And i cannot suffer just because he is a selfish jerk.

Thank you all

I need a good score on the IB because I am aiming for Imperial Uni for Theoretical Physics so I have to do at least decently in Econ. If I submit an invalid IA my grade will suffer too much.

EXACTLY

It's NOT a practice IA

How do i tell him? He is leaving at the end of this year so all he does is find ways to screw us all over... It is so annoying...

Thank you all for letting me know that it is NOT a 'rule of thumb'

Can anyone PLEASE find a website that says BEYOND A DOUBT that it MUST be within this timeframe? Or some evidence?

I am tired of him thinking he can do whatever he wants... And i cannot suffer just because he is a selfish jerk.

Thank you all

I need a good score on the IB because I am aiming for Imperial Uni for Theoretical Physics so I have to do at least decently in Econ. If I submit an invalid IA my grade will suffer too much.

I know exactly what you mean, considering I'm in your class. I told him that I am not doing it because the IA would be invalid, and he couldn't grade it any way because teachers aren't allowed to do so on an IA.

I know exactly what you mean, considering I'm in your class. I told him that I am not doing it because the IA would be invalid, and he couldn't grade it any way because teachers aren't allowed to do so on an IA.

But he either duznt know that or doesnt care!

I just did a brief one about the 2.5% tax reduction in the UK but I need some evidence that we can use this article by the 5th please

• 3 weeks later...

My teacher has split the commentaries over a period of time so each commentary has its own specific due date that you must hand it in on +/- 2-3days. Her reasoning is that if she leaves it up to us, most people are going to procrastinate and try to do it the night before. Also, this shows show "progression" (I don't know what she means by this even though IB is randomly going to select one to mark).

Did you have Econ in IB1? If you did, then it's fine. It doesn't matter when you write your first IA, just when the first class started.

If you didn't... well, isn't it kinda awkward to start Econ in IB2? ^_^

You should try convincing her that you are allowed to choose articles at least 6 months old. I think the general consensus here seems to be that the articles have to be 6 months old. Also, my teacher told me I am not allowed to use the same source twice (i.e. Use The Star (a newspaper here in Toronto, Canada) for no more than one commentary). Have you guys heard about this rule too?

You should try convincing her that you are allowed to choose articles at least 6 months old. I think the general consensus here seems to be that the articles have to be 6 months old. Also, my teacher told me I am not allowed to use the same source twice (i.e. Use The Star (a newspaper here in Toronto, Canada) for no more than one commentary). Have you guys heard about this rule too?

Yes, we also had that rule where we couldn't use the same source more than once. But that's not difficult, there are MILLIONS of newspapers worldwide at your disposal.

Why would it be awkward :P? I only started econ in IB2 and I had it for a full year.

I guess I assumed that since you're in Ontario, your schedule would be somewhat similar to mine. So you had 4 slots for HL classes in IB1 (and 4 for SLs)?

I guess it's just weird since an HL class would finish after only 1 semester during IB2... so there would be a gap either between Semester 2 and May or the year before and Semester 2.

Edit: Just saw you had HL Econ. I thought HL classes spanned for 3 semesters instead of 2? :(

Edited by Irene

I guess I assumed that since you're in Ontario, your schedule would be somewhat similar to mine. So you had 4 slots for HL classes in IB1 (and 4 for SLs)?

I guess it's just weird since an HL class would finish after only 1 semester during IB2... so there would be a gap either between Semester 2 and May or the year before and Semester 2.

Edit: Just saw you had HL Econ. I thought HL classes spanned for 3 semesters instead of 2? :P

Oh, I didn't think they HAD to span for 3 semesters..yeah I only started econ in grade 12. I'm not sure why exactly. My other two HLs, chem and English, were 3 semesters long. In IB1, I had chem, English, French and math for first semester and then bio, French, math and TOK. Then in IB2, I had econ, chem, bio, and English for first semester and econ, chem, English and a spare for second semester.

That is weird now that I think about it.

• 3 weeks later...