Is boarding school beneficial or detrimental?

Sunflowerr

Hey people

I've been in a boarding school for the last 4 months or so. I agree that it all depends on the person. I, for one, have become more mature and can deal with plenty of things on my own. Also boarding school's taught methe importance of adjusting with people of different cultures, castes and beliefs. :rolleyes:

But the minuses for me are relentless argumentts that take place with roomies (I don't really get along too well with 'em) and ridicule especially if you can't tag along. :no: So I'd say I like it here (weather's amazing), but I DEFINITELY don't love it. :P

• 6 years later...
Guest Live your life don't exist
On 2/17/2009 at 4:43 PM, Eternalx said:

Isn't a disciplined child a good thing? Also when they grow up they're free to do whatever they want.

Living your life in your own way,being with your parents in teenage,and interacting with the world is more important than living or existing in an over a disciplined,isolated life I wish my parents won't ever send me their

I have been in boarding for 5 years now! I found it so hard at first as I spoke no Spanish at the time and I was the only person in my entire year group in the boarding. I was lucky that all the older girls made me feel welcome. I went with my little sister, she was 10 and I was 12 when we joined. So it was a big responsibility for me as I had to look after her. 5 years later and in my final IB year I am still the only girl boarder in my year group but at least I can speak Spanish now! If anything this year has been the most tough because all my older friends have left and there is nobody to really relate with in the younger year groups. Also the house mother that I had for the first 4 years had to be fired because she got really angry with us all the time for no reason.

In short I think boarding is a great experience if you can speak the same language, there are people of your own age to talk to and who are going through the same thing as you and if your house mother/father is kind and understanding. I was just very un-lucky, still I wouldn't take the experience back as I have learnt so much!

• 1 year later...