Is boarding school beneficial or detrimental?

Sunflowerr

I go to boarding school and I think it's great. But like many have said before me it totally depends on the person. Also it does get tough starting to work because there are so many distractions, especially when you have a roomate your good friends with!!

To me the thought of a boarding school seems very... strange. Sure, you'll get more independent, but it restricts your freedom, doesn't it? And to live in your school...

But I suppose that if the other people are nice, it can be good, but I wouldn't want to be in a boarding school.

Probably depends on the person.

It would definitely be cool but after a while idk. I think that after the initial wave of freedom it would become the same as any other school. Plus then the school can control your actions, so be the lazy ib student you were born to be and just stay at home and not bother with the hassles of moving.

so be the lazy ib student you were born to be and just stay at home and not bother with the hassles of moving.

But maybe you'd get better grades if you were in a boarding school and have scheduled homework time and constantly have other people around that might be able to help you.

But on the other hand, the boarding school (which is quite snobby) close to where I live have a lower diploma rate than my school has.

This is one of those questions that has no definitive answer and it totally depends on the person going to boarding school. There are both advantages/disadvantages depending on the individual. One of my friends who used to do very poorly in school while living with his parents magically started getting good grades etc. when he was put into a boarding school (maybe because his parents were very easy on him and the rules imposed at the school helped him). So, there is no answer in reality to that question.

It really does depend on both the person and the boarding system that the school offers. If the school doesn't have very strict guidelines, then students probably won't be very grounded and thus less inclined to do their work.

Personally, I think boarding would be fantastic because there are so many resources at school.

• 1 month later...

I don't fancy the idea of boarding school very much. At first, it may seem as though it allows for more freedom, but I think it would be the opposite. I think it would lead to a very restricted lifestyle.

However, there is the education which would probably be better at boarding schools. Teachers would be around longer and the students would be more motivated to work harder. The school may also impose rules that mean the student wouldn't have a chance to slack off or procrastinate. This is a bonus.

Like many other things, it has its advantages and disadvantages.

• 3 months later...

I've never been to a boarding school but from what I've read/seen/heard, it really depends on the school and the students inside of it. If the students in your house are studious and hard working, then you will be undoubtedly influenced (because hey - you're LIVING with them), so boarding schools would probably be beneficial to your academic life. However, if the students you are living with are obsessed with partying, doing drugs and whatnot, then it's detrimental. Really depends on the school. So if the school's got a bad reputation... Why risk yourself by going there?

Saw a bit about restrictions when I was scanning this thread... IMO there isn't anything wrong with slight restrictions during school life, even though I would get mad if it actually applied to me <_< University is the time to be free; IB is the time to be stressed, and to force you to study and work hard, slight restrictions (there aren't usually a lot in the sixth form anyway) can be beneficial. Relax after all that is over, when you get into the university you desire and it is all working out for you :)

• 2 months later...

I go to a Boarding school since 14 years old and still am a boarder and I am a prefect now within the boarding house. A lot of people thinks that living at school is like living in a prison or a house with so many restrictions and rules, but thats not true. I found that boarding schools actually helps you to get ready for the outside world and living indepentantly, when you move out of home. boarding house is also good because you can live with your friends therefore be closer to them and know them better. you can also pick up leadership roles, which is pretty important in the real world so its good to pick it up when you are still at school. i also think that going to a boarding school at a young age isnt good because they are just too young so a good age to go to a boarding school is around 13 because then you wouldnt feel home sick that much and you will learn at that age instead of wanting to play all the time.

As a boarder at a boarding school myself, I would have to say that coming to be a boarder at my school is probably the best thing - ever - to happen to my so far in my life. I have to employ self-management, for a start, and self management skills are going to come in use later on in life (not to mention now!) I have been boarding for a little over a year now, and its totally, TOTALLY benifical.

It is my opinion that if you can board, you should - it will do signifigantly more for you than you might think. Cheers :P

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on your personality. I know a few people who go to boarding school and are happy there, but I can't imagine being away from my family and close friends for so long. If you are naturally independent/want to be independent, then I feel boarding school would be great. However, if you like to have the support of people really close to you and you don't want to be separated from them, then boarding school could be a horrible experience.

Even if you decide to go to boarding school, it would be better to go when you're about 14-15 years old, because young children really need the support of their parents (in my opinion) while they're still growing and they probably wouldn't be mature enough to handle it on their own.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on the child's personality, is s/he more independant? At a young age it could set a foundation of independance and responsibility, then again leave scars thinking mommy and daddy didn't want me so sent me away. It costs so much money. Some boarding schools are special for special activities such as dance, art...to pursue an interest. But before shipping a kid off (lol) sent him or her on a little trip like a camp to see how they will react before you make a regretting mistake.

• Like 1

everything has its pro and con. as a boarder in a boarding school , I think going to boarding school give you more benefit. :) The most obvious thing is you will be more independent and mature and also you can make lots of friends. Living in boarding school also means you can have academic support from your teachers any time you want (in my school most of the teachers live on-site)and life in boarding school is very exciting :blush:

however, the food are horrible! and the fire alarm practice @ 1 am is very annoying ;D

• 4 months later...

Boarding school is good to learn social skills and you're always close to your schoolwork (so it's impossible to skive off), but it takes a certain type of person to enjoy it. I tolerate it, but I don't love it. It definitely has taught me responsiblity and independence, I have to give it that. But there's something stifling about being around people all the time. If you're in a bad mood or down in the dumps, there's no real way to get away from people and just work it out yourself. I personally have found that I argue with people more, because we are around each other all the time and little things that we don't like about each other seem doubly worse. That's what I don't like about boarding school. The pros really outweigh the cons, but it's not for everyone.

I go to a boarding school and I love it here. You make great friends and have an awesome experience. It helps in IB as I can always walk into a teacher's home...if I don't understand something. Then again you're friends are ALWAYS around so that helps a lot.

The parties ARE ALWAYS AWESOME!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...