EE Chemistry a bad idea? Please Help!!!!!!!

Chrisie22

I feel so conflicted right now because I don't know what to choose for my EE and I wanted to finalize my topic over a week ago! PLEASE HELP :( !

I wanted to do chemistry since it is something I plan to major in, so I came up with the question

"To what extent does silverskin black garlic provide a reliable source of antioxidants ?"

I thought it was a good topic, but the question is more biology, and unfortunately, I am not taking biology. I asked my chemistry teacher for some advice and he said that there was a reason no year 2s did chemistry as their subject. He said it would be too much work for an experiment since there would be a lot of error and it would be hard to write 4000 words on a topic that you do not know very well about. A lot of year 2 students agreed with him and recommended that I do english or history since it would be wayy easier. I really wanted to do this topic since I know I would be way more interested in it but now I feel like it would be harder than I imagine. Another teacher said chemistry is doable but difficult; however if done well it can look very good. I don't know exactly what do to for english or history.

For history I am interested in 

Lenin, Mussolini, Hitler, and Mao

But I am lost in what I should do. Please help me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

In general you should do the EE in your best subject. Mine was math and I scored well in my EE. 

It appears that you will use some separations methods to get the antioxidants. It could be better to do a reaction because you have more to talk about. But if you know the methods, it's perfectly fine. The hard part, obviously, is that the methods may be out of syllabus. The methods most accessible to high school students, such as titration and spectrometry, have greater precision. I am not sure how you would separate/quantify the oxidants. It could be riskier to a topic with lots of extra readings but the topic seems fine.   

• Like 1

People say to do an EE in english or history because "it's just like the essays you right in school- but longer!" They don't really realize that the EE is a huge time commitment and you actually have to somewhat like your topic since you're poring so much time into it.

I agree with @kw0573 about the difficulty in determining the oxidants. From personal experience, I do know that some students reached out to university laboratories and got permission to use their equipment. They weren't penalized for using the equipment since they explained their process thoroughly. If there's such a place nearby, reach out to them and ask them about whether you could conduct your experiment there or if the experiment could be attempted another way. You may even find a new topic in the process.

Good luck!

• Like 1