SOLO IOP creativity format

Hey guys, 

I will be doing my IOP this year, and my topic will be Macbeth and Hamlet ( Macbeth being the book we are reading this year). In terms of comparing the plays, I most likely will speak to Supernatural elements and what makes them both Greek tragedies. There is so much I can compare between these two plays though!  However, I'm rather stuck on making it into a creative solo format. When we've done something creative presentation in class, it was with 2+ people. 

Just wanted to ask any of your previous creative formats for Solo IOPS (just for inspiration /an idea!), or any potential random ideas that come off the top of your head. When I think of a creative presentation I can only think of acting...which requires two people at least *sighs* . 

So help, please :) 

• Thanks 1

ooohhh my goooddd i can help yay.

I just handed in my final IOP this morning, and can maybe offer some ideas.

The majority of my cohort did creative approaches (all solo), though a lot used fellow students as "props"

For my own, I analysed a poem called 'Doctor to Patient' by Bruce Dawe, and presented in the role of my own doctor (wherein I wrote a response poem, performed that, then analysed the original poem and made connections with my own)

I used a class-mate as my patient. --> This is still a solo-iop!!!

Other students have performed funeral services with other students being pastors in the background or acting as a dead body.

Ideas I had for presenting mine- a phone call--> I would have spoken over the phone and to analyse a part, shout down the other end saying "What do you mean you dont understand why he used visual imagery here?!?"

I've heard kids in the past run game shows, where they ask the audience to ask them pre-organised questions and fulfill the analysis part like that.

However, I think comparing the two plays Hamlet and Macbeth may be a bit difficult. You have a maximum of 15minutes, and that includes questions from audience/teacher to support your main arguments.  You've said you have a lot you're able to compare between the two, but would you be able to keep it focussed and relevant?

Macbeth and Hamlet, I feel have different storylines. The major reason for this being their fatal flaws (harmatia) differ so greatly: ambition vs. an inability to act

One spends the whole play thinking about who to kill next, whilst the other can't even acknowledge he's killed someone.

Perhaps, you could consider playing the role of Shakespeare, whilst writing them? his conflicting thoughts "oh, I definitely need to put this here, it'll have this affect. But if i do that in this one as well, my plays might be repetitive. Nope! definitely! and those snobs can shove it in their faces when I publish these! The Globe awaits!"

If your school offers theatre as a subject, I think maybe ask for ideas from theatre kids or the teacher on how to develop ideas and a performance.

Sorry my comment was such a mess!

Best of luck to you :)))

A well wisher.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2018 at 11:49 PM, t.sw said:

ooohhh my goooddd i can help yay.

I just handed in my final IOP this morning, and can maybe offer some ideas.

The majority of my cohort did creative approaches (all solo), though a lot used fellow students as "props"

For my own, I analysed a poem called 'Doctor to Patient' by Bruce Dawe, and presented in the role of my own doctor (wherein I wrote a response poem, performed that, then analysed the original poem and made connections with my own)

I used a class-mate as my patient. --> This is still a solo-iop!!!

Other students have performed funeral services with other students being pastors in the background or acting as a dead body.

Ideas I had for presenting mine- a phone call--> I would have spoken over the phone and to analyse a part, shout down the other end saying "What do you mean you dont understand why he used visual imagery here?!?"

I've heard kids in the past run game shows, where they ask the audience to ask them pre-organised questions and fulfill the analysis part like that.

However, I think comparing the two plays Hamlet and Macbeth may be a bit difficult. You have a maximum of 15minutes, and that includes questions from audience/teacher to support your main arguments.  You've said you have a lot you're able to compare between the two, but would you be able to keep it focussed and relevant?

Macbeth and Hamlet, I feel have different storylines. The major reason for this being their fatal flaws (harmatia) differ so greatly: ambition vs. an inability to act

One spends the whole play thinking about who to kill next, whilst the other can't even acknowledge he's killed someone.

Perhaps, you could consider playing the role of Shakespeare, whilst writing them? his conflicting thoughts "oh, I definitely need to put this here, it'll have this affect. But if i do that in this one as well, my plays might be repetitive. Nope! definitely! and those snobs can shove it in their faces when I publish these! The Globe awaits!"

If your school offers theatre as a subject, I think maybe ask for ideas from theatre kids or the teacher on how to develop ideas and a performance.

Sorry my comment was such a mess!

Best of luck to you :)))

A well wisher.

Ah I just got to read all of this. Thank you so much! I really like the idea of pretending to be Shakespeare and your perspective on both of the plays are insightful :D. Your presentation sounds very creative and well done too:clap:  Thanks for the help! I still have a few weeks till mine is due so im still brainstorming.