Worried about IB Biology

Paag01

I seriously consider my Biology SL classes useless to get prepared for the IB exams. My teacher is not following the IB material, and I feel like I am wasting my time here. I am in the last 2 months of my Junior year. My IB exams are going to be in May 2019, so I guess I still have time, but I am worried day and night. 

Can somebody give me some tips to study IB Biology on my own?

How can I get prepared to get the 7?

Edited by Paag01

bio's not too bad in that there's a lot of stuff that you can essentially learn on your own if necessary - i'd recommend your biology textbook (the oxford one is really good if you have that) and also http://ib.bioninja.com.au/ which covers every chapter really well. if you can learn the content and have a solid understanding of the various concepts /how the ib wants you to answer their questions (think markschemes) you'll be well on your way to a 7 in SL bio :)

Hi there, Biology SL is not a hard subject to get a 7 at all, and I am sure if you are persistent in revising, you can achieve a high grade. I would like to quote an old post from nearly 2 years ago which I have written how to revise Biology while I was revising Biology for my Finals. I'm not sure if the curriculum has changed, but it's similar. You may ignore the HL contents. that I have mentioned below. 

The below post mentioned about revision techniques for Exams: 

On 4/9/2016 at 10:47 AM, inriya said:

(Long answer below) Revision techniques for Biology HL+SL. 

My advice before the real IB finals: if you take 1.5 hour per day to revise for Biology, then doing exercise right after you revise each and little bit of section, you will not be as stressed. Taking breaks is essential for you to absorb your knowledge. 

If you have an exam, jotting notes will be vital. Reading materials and fully understand it is the key to Biology HL/SL 7. Let me give you heads up on what methods or strategies that you can use or might find this useful, don't be really stressed seeing all those names down there.

(Each topic has different ways to combat)

Flashcard methods will be useful in these topics:

• DNA Transcription, Replication, Translation enzymes involved in all different reactions(HL)
  • Ecology (Domains, Kingdoms, Phylums, Classes for chordata [HL only], Phylums for plants ) **
    • To memorize all those classification, print out some pictures of animals, plants to have a fun game with
  • Mitosis vs Meiosis (diagrams especially independent assortment and crossing over)

Drawing method will be useful for: 

• Respiration (Kreb Cycle)
  • Photosynthesis  (Calvin Cycle)
  • Genetics (Also I will suggest finding some online practices to look at the genetic diagram, then doing punnett square)
  • Movement (HL)
  • Plant Science (Identifying Stem)

All the topics that I didn't mention above, try jotting down main points on papers, keep it in a binder / notebook and reread it in your freetime. My favorite Biology teacher also opens a platform for us to jot only 10 points for each topic, so we can remember it easily by rereading it before the exam.

Since you are still in your Junior year,  I will just give one advice: Make sure you save some time, either after class or in the weekends, to review your Biology notes once to make sure you understand everything. I have seen cases when people just ignore what they don't understand until Finals when they have limited time to chase up everything, they didn't have time + can't remember the basic principles at all. Furthermore, make sure you make notes/highlight during the class / self-revision, so you can review afterwards (This applies to all subjects). 

Hope it helps.