Should I drop to Math Studies from Math SL?

mawinnie

I'm doing terrible in Math SL (because I lack a lot of basic knowledge of math due to different education systems and me moving around a lot) I am constantly getting C and D grades all year. It's too much for me because the teacher teaches way too fast for someone who has almost 0 knowledge on most these subjects ex. logs. I'm a month away from my Junior Year semester exams and am thinking of dropping to math studies next year for senior year.

But would I be able to go to universities because I heard Math Studies isnt taken seriously?

My subjects are right now: SL math, SL spanish ab initio, SL chemistry and HL biology, HL english, HL global politics

I only took sciences because I wanted to keep my options open and wasn't sure about my career path so I for sure don't want to go into medicine (which I know needs math SL).  Now I understand my strengths and most likely want to go to psychology or something to do with design like interior design etc. 

Would I be able to do be accepted into future uni courses even if I drop to math studies? Thanks 

universities tend to prefer maths SL, but if it's a question of almost failing SL maths as opposed to doing well in maths studies, I'd say drop to studies. I'd double check uni requirements for the courses you're interested in as maths could be useful (especially in design) but if you don't think you'll be able to pull up your SL grades going to studies is probably your best option (but don't stress about it, plenty of people take studies and have no problems getting into university to do the courses they want :) )

• Like 1

If you're more worried about uni acceptance than anything, maybe see if there are any mini-courses or exams you can take after you graduate just to get that pre-req. 

E.g. In Australia, you can do TAFE for 3-6months and get the SL requirement that way. 

Is there anything like that available for you?

Best of luck!

• Like 1