IOC Markscheme Questions HL

What is the difference between this:

There is very good knowledge and understanding, demonstrated by careful interpretation supported by wellchosen references to the poem.

And this:

There is excellent knowledge and understanding, demonstrated by individual interpretation effectively supported by precise and wellchosen references to the poem.

There is very good appreciation of the ways in which language, structure, technique and style shape meaning in the poem.

And this:

There is excellent appreciation of the ways in which language, structure, technique and style shape meaning in the poem.

If you do not mention structure, will you be marked down? Suppose the teacher asks you this in the two minutes, does this count? There isn't enough time in some poems to discuss the main techniques PLUS the structure.

The commentary is clearly structured and the focus is sustained.

And this:

The commentary is effectively structured, with a clear, purposeful and sustained focus.

Really. How do we make our focus purposeful?

Discussion

How should we discuss the implications of our works? Especially if the works are set in another time and place. E.g. how do we discuss the implications of the Great Gatsby? Do we link the American Dream to the current world even if we live in, say, Asia?

There is excellent knowledge and understanding of the content and the implications of the work discussed.

There are persuasive and independent responses to the discussion questions.

And this:

Well-informed responses to the discussion questions show a good degree of independent thought.

The IOC is in around one day.

Thank you

Hey super quick response (hopefully this will get to you in time)

Short answer: given the time you have, I wouldn't worry about the minutia between a 4 and 5. Just give it your best shot, because it is more than likely that anything you do won't be huge enough to compensate for the subjectiveness of your markers.

Long answer: Still carrying the sentiment of the above, I think whether you get a 4 or 5 in a particular criteria is up to who is marking you. When I prepared for the IOC with my friends, we often graded each other with ranges rather than specific marks (e.g. 4-5, 3-4) knowing that we weren't perfect markers, or markers that replicated our real markers. To answer your questions, there is no definite, cover-all explanation, but I'll try and give a few examples:

• Criterion A: (How might your interpretation and use of references be careful but not individual or precise?) For both cases, you have multiple solid themes that you introduced well and have good theses for, but in the former you may have more general references than specific ones (e.g. in stanza 1, x, y, z) but still explaining them to an extent (e.g. the overall effect + a few a good quotes in stanza 1 is z, y, z and it establishes meaning a, b, c), whilst in the latter, you have more specific than general references (e.g. x in the beginning of stanza 1, y at the end of stanza 1, and z in line 12 have individual effects, but have the overall effect and meaning of ....), allowing you to explain in more detail. (N.B I'm not saying stanza wide references are bad - they are good in the introduction and when you are doing your syntheses i.e. final sentences of a theme/point, just don't rely on them throughout your analysis if you want a 5)

• Criterion B: You are right in that there is often little to no time you can devote to explaining structure. You just have to work with what you have. Put one or two sentences in your introduction explaining it and drop it in during your analysis and synthesis. Structure, like stanza-wide or poem-wide effects are good during synthesis when you need something general to conclude on. 
    But to answer your second question, markers as a general rule, almost have an obligation to follow you up on things that you didn't really address in your commentary, so if you can't spare any time in the commentary to mention structure (which is understandable) they will most likely ask you a question or two on it. If you answer it well, then there should be no reason for them to mark you down.

• Criterion 😄 This is probably the easiest to explain and hardest to do. You want to make transitions between your points seem natural, and to the best of your ability, make them (topic and final sentences of your points) match up with what you said in your introduction. In layman's terms, its how your commentary flows. If one or two of your points have dodgy transitions/don't match up completely with stuff you said before, or segments of your analysis within a single point seem disconnected, then the purpose of your commentary is compromised i.e. the marker will be unsure of what you are trying to argue.

• Criterion D and E: Who says you need to remove the subject matter from its context? "Implications" can mean talking about the American Dream and what it revealed about society in the 1920s. Saying this, generalizing from the subject matter isn't a necessarily bad thing e.g. Fitzgerald's depiction of the American Dream highlights a confronting disparity between the middle and working class, a disparity that has existed and continues to exist in society today. It gives you a bit of gravitas, but make sure you use it sparingly and, where you do include generalizations, make sure you explain them well. E.g. if you just mention the sentence above without explaining Fitzgerald's motive behind such a depiction (his own disillusionment with capitalist society) or how it is represented in the book (separation between West and East Egg, Valley of Ashes imagery) then your interpretation will not sound independent and thought out.

Hope this helps - I'm aware that some of the examples might be a bit exaggerated or oversimplified. DM or reply if you need clarification.