MATH IA HELP ASAP!

Miley

Hi! I am doing my math IA right now and I have no idea if it is going to work.

I am planning on doing projectile motion about soccer. I am going to draw graphs using different angles of the kick and the defense's height in front of the player and see which scenario allows the fastest speed of the ball by using differentiation.

Can this work and is it too easy?

PLEASE HELP ME!!

What you have described is not projectile motion. Projectile specifically assumes negligible friction as an object moves under the influence of gravity, and friction is what causes most of the twists and turns in the ball. The other issue is that drawing of the trajectory does not directly leads to speed, as you need to know them as a function of time. I think it's an ok topic once you figure out the details of the physics (such as with a physics teacher at your school) so you can apply the math correctly and communicate it effectively. However you need to devise a way to find the trajectory components as functions of time and it require some creativity. Finally a reminder that the amount of number crunching does not necessarily correlate with the strength of the exploration and that if this topic were to be too challenging, a theoretical discussion might also be good. 

Thank you for your answer!

Sadly, my school does not do physics so we can not do that and it is true that I need the function of time.....

If it is possible, do you have any other ideas that have to do with football?

I don't recommend doing a math IA in a physics-related topic if you do not have access to a physics teacher. You could talk about geometry of the soccer ball but you might not get very far. It's best to start with your strengths in math, rather than your interests then somehow have math into it. Many people choose some type of data analysis but I just want to reiterate that too much data may make the IA convoluted and hurt the grade. A topic with just theoretical discussions about math may score just as well. If you like calculus you can go for some related rates (see HL) or other optimization problems.