Biology IA help - Effect of varying concentrations of oxygen on rate of respiration in yeast measured by carbon dioxide production

imperialbee

Hi, guys. I am currently having a bit of trouble figuring out how to control oxygen concentration for the yeast and measure rate of respiration (based on carbon dioxide gas production) at the same time. If you have any ideas, please suggest how I could do this? I have never worked with oxygen before or tried adding a gas while measuring another. My biology teacher has told me that physically it may be difficult... But I feel like this is 10000x better than doing sucrose concentration.  I have a few ideas such as isolating the yeast in a container with a specific oxygen concentration and having an aspirator/vacuum pump come out of it somehow for the carbon dioxide to be captured but I'm not sure how practical this is.  

In addition to that, how do I go about finding 'the best' oxygen concentrations for yeast? Do I just find the minimum oxygen concentration needed and then use values significantly higher/lower than that? I've researched that there's a point where that respiration will stop occurring in yeast if the oxygen concentration is too high. I was just wondering how I could go about finding this range/value.

In addition to the above point, if this seems too difficult/impractical should I change my dependent variable? Should I measure the rate of respiration by the presence of another variable?

Thanks,

imperialbee

Edited by imperialbee
tags!!