Will I fail FOA if I don't address language in a cultural context?

My topic was "How does language have the power to influence people", based on the Language and Power unit we did during class for Part 1 of langlit. However, I don't even relate language to culture at all in my presentation, because I don't know how language having power is related in a cultural context. my entire presentation literally revolves around analysing Nelson Mandela's 2 speeches, and how language techniques he used was powerful and influenced the audience. I barely even discuss Language and Power, so my presentation literally feels like an IOC where I just discuss Mandela's speech techniques (ie. he uses anecdote to create a personal feeling, or inclusive language to create a feeling of unity)

Everyone in my class has chosen topics that relate directly to language in a cultural context: eg. Bilingualism, sexism in different cultures, own culture, American speeches and culture, ... I'm the only *odd* person who has chosen a topic completely irrelevant. 

Can someone help me somehow incorporate some culture aspect into my FOA please?? I'm so stuck and I don't want to completely fail the FOA. Also, I'm a hella shy and awkward person, I don't want to embarrass myself in front of the whole class. eeek. 

I did my FOA in this too (Language and Power) and the cultural aspect kicks in if you discuss for example the biblical allusions (or influences) in his speech or how his contemporary audience (American, obviously) .. and mention the importance of the time/era, what was going on at the time, attitudes of Whites-Blacks and how his speech was indirectly (or directly) addressing these issues. That is all culture.

Lang and Power can be discussed in terms of the rhetorical effect (power) of his words to influence. HOw did he seek to exert power through his speeches? Power = influence, the power to move people to action....

Does this help?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, voh26 said:

I did my FOA in this too (Language and Power) and the cultural aspect kicks in if you discuss for example the biblical allusions (or influences) in his speech or how his contemporary audience (American, obviously) .. and mention the importance of the time/era, what was going on at the time, attitudes of Whites-Blacks and how his speech was indirectly (or directly) addressing these issues. That is all culture.

Lang and Power can be discussed in terms of the rhetorical effect (power) of his words to influence. HOw did he seek to exert power through his speeches? Power = influence, the power to move people to action....

Does this help?

you are my saviour, thank you so much!!

I did actually address background, speech context and everything (using the big 5) so I think I have done it right! It's okay for an FOA to focus just specifically on one thing right? (Such as I'm focusing only on South African culture and Nelson Mandela speeches, even though it doesn't really relate to me)

BTW did you mean South African for contemporary audience? 

Oops, yes S African (I was thinking Luther-King, which is who we always talk about in class). Focusing one thing is OK, as far as I know because then you have all 10-15 minutes to really unpack and analyze in depth. Just make sure not to speculate about audience and effects, you have to have good reasons for thinking x or y is "appealing" to the audience and link this to the histiorical or cultural context. The context should not be simply tacked on either, it has to be an integral part of your presentation -- at least this is what was drummed into me and it took a while for me to fully understand what this really meant in practice. :)  Tell me how it goes with your FOA! Good luck!