PRE-IB

yujincho0869

Hi! I'm a 10th grader now and will be taking IB from August. The subjects I will be taking are HL Lang&Lit, History, Economics and SL Math, Korean, Chemistry. I know that IB is really hard and there are a lot of contents to learn. So I would like to get a head start over the summer break. How could I study for these subjects? (especially history and economics) Are there specific materials I should use? 

Hi Yujin! I was in your shoes a few months back. Personally, I would strongly recommend you to relax during the holidays since you will not be getting much rest time after IB officially starts. However, what you could do (if you really insist on getting a head-start) is to work on your foundations for all of your subjects, particularly your languages and mathematics. Hope this helps! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would relax over the summer. You really don't need to start studying for IB exams until middle of year 2...because by then you will already know what will be on the exams and will receive studying advice from teachers and peers. Don't over-stress. However, if you really do want a head-start, you can check out IB-geared textbooks especially for maths/sciences. they're on amazon.

take it easy

• Thanks 1

IB publishes subject guides or syllabus for each subject every 5-8 years. The most recent ones are Language and Literature guide First Examinations 2013, Language B guide F.E. 2015, History guide F.E. 2017, Chemistry guide F.E. 2016, Mathematics SL guide F.E. 2014, Theory of Knowledge guide F.E. 2015, Extended Essay guide F.E. 2018, Creativity, Action, Service guide F.E. 2017. I am not sure about economics, which may continue to use the 2013 guide or start a new one. These can be found under syllabus in IBO documents in the Files section, and elsewhere online. You can read through these to get a better understanding of assessment procedures and content that will be covered in your courses.

• Thanks 1