Matric student going to IB;

Sofiaahmed

2 hours ago, Sofiaahmed said:

I’m a matric student going into IB and I’m taking economics, business management, physics and math and I have no strong base on any of the subjects. But I am willing to do watever it takes to get above 35 in IB 

Perhaps to provide context, what's a "matric student"?

9 hours ago, Sofiaahmed said:

I’m a matric student going into IB and I’m taking economics, business management, physics and math and I have no strong base on any of the subjects. But I am willing to do watever it takes to get above 35 in IB 

You're going to have to get used to the fact that IB is going to involve more critical thinking rather than the rote memorization you might have been used to in your matric years. Since you say you're not very strong in your subjects, I'd suggest either considering other courses that you're comfortable in or setting aside some extra hours a week to review or skim ahead of the material.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Perhaps to provide context, what's a "matric student"?

I’m a student who was previously studying in a matriculation board and we didn’t have a separate economics subject. It was just one lesson for economics each year and it wasn’t the kind of economics they’d teach in IB schools. The same goes for the other subjects ( except math and physics) 

9 hours ago, Rosalina said:

You're going to have to get used to the fact that IB is going to involve more critical thinking rather than the rote memorization you might have been used to in your matric years. Since you say you're not very strong in your subjects, I'd suggest either considering other courses that you're comfortable in or setting aside some extra hours a week to review or skim ahead of the material.

I’m trying to go through the basics all over again, but I do not know what to do for economics and I do not want to drop economics since I really want to learn it 

41 minutes ago, Sofiaahmed said:

I’m trying to go through the basics all over again, but I do not know what to do for economics and I do not want to drop economics since I really want to learn it 

I am not sure of the context of this situation - so please correct me if I am mistaken.

As a student who takes HL economics this year, I didn't really feel like there was a need for you to have background knowledge or prior experience with the subject because they will start from the basics, like the concepts of demand and supply, before moving on to advanced content like price ceilings and subsidies. So, if you are worried that you will not understand anything in Econs class, don't worry because neither did I when I took HL economics. And, I am doing fine still (managed to get 7 points in my first test). 

Hope this helps! :D 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Lixter said:

I am not sure of the context of this situation - so please correct me if I am mistaken.

As a student who takes HL economics this year, I didn't really feel like there was a need for you to have background knowledge or prior experience with the subject because they will start from the basics, like the concepts of demand and supply, before moving on to advanced content like price ceilings and subsidies. So, if you are worried that you will not understand anything in Econs class, don't worry because neither did I when I took HL economics. And, I am doing fine still (managed to get 7 points in my first test). 

Hope this helps! :D 

Thanks so much, your reply was exactly what I needed 😄😊