Drop from SL math to math studies if I want to study law?

mawinnie

I'm doing horrible in math SL, my counsellor came to see me recently and told me it was best to drop to math studies. I only took math SL because I had biology and chemistry but now that I know that I do not want to do sciences in the future (chem kills me and bio is so complex), I know I want nothing to do with sciences or math in the future. I want to do something to do with literature or law or design. Would dropping to math studies be the right choice? Is law or deisgn related to math at all? 

Current subjects:

HL biology, global politics, english

SL math, chemistry, spanish ab initio

Edited by mawinnie

I don't think it's a problem because I have a friend that graduated 2 years ago and she was horrible at math SL even with a private tutor. she ended up dropping to math studies and got a 6 at the end of the year. she was admitted to a good university to do law... and besides it is better to get high grades in studies than get very low grades in SL..

hope this was useful and good luck😁

On 5/27/2018 at 4:10 PM, NTWXLX said:

I don't think it's a problem because I have a friend that graduated 2 years ago and she was horrible at math SL even with a private tutor. she ended up dropping to math studies and got a 6 at the end of the year. she was admitted to a good university to do law... and besides it is better to get high grades in studies than get very low grades in SL..

hope this was useful and good luck😁

Do you mind telling me where she applied to? That sounds like the right thing to do but I'm just afraid universities won't accept me because of math studies

just check with the universities you're interested in applying to - they should either list it on their website, or you can call them and see what they think with regards to maths studies. In general, I'd say if you're really struggling with maths SL and it's impacting the time you spend on other subjects or would be detrimental to your overall score, it's better to drop down to studies and do well. however, if you think it's realistic that with a bit more focused effort you can bring up your maths sl grade without taking away from your other subjects, then it's a bonus to have sl over studies

On 5/28/2018 at 9:13 PM, mawinnie said:

Do you mind telling me where she applied to? That sounds like the right thing to do but I'm just afraid universities won't accept me because of math studies

sorry i took long .. she applied to UPEI(Canada), OCU ( Texas, USA), FIT( Florida USA), the last one was sort of weird but according to her they have a good law program.