math sl to studies

NTWXLX

I am currently doing math SL and I have a weak 3 (IB year 1 term 3) my teacher and the IB coordinator are both telling me to drop to studies. I would honestly love to go there but I want to do finance in UNI. whenever I ask my counselor about it she is somewhat vague and due to my introverted self I just nod and leave. my grades in economics Hl are quite average they do not really rise or fall. always at a strong 5. My question is can I do math studies and still get a good university where I can do finance or should I just continue to miserably fail math SL?

I do: English lang&lit HL(5), French B HL(5), Economics HL(6)

psychology SL(5), Biology SL(6), Math SL(3) 

Edited by NTWXLX
punctuation

Hey there

Firstly, this is a hard question to answer because what do you define as a "good uni"? In general (from a bit of googling and memory when I applied for uni, in 2016), most of the top 50/100 unis need a minimum of math SL. Frankly, if you want to study finance, you will need it. The simple reason is that often finance will involve courses in Economics, and that needs a decent level of math. It's very different from High School Econ. 

In your shoes, I would try to figure out why you're struggling with math SL. Do you not understand the content, or do you not test well, or is the IA or something else? After identifying that, you can make a battle strategy.

A few general ideas for Content:

a) Get a tutor/try to get a one on one with your teacher. Sometimes we work better individually. Plus your teacher/tutor can figure out if a certain teaching method doesn't work for you.

b) Practice. Math (and really any subject) is like a muscle. The more you use it the better you get. Start off simple, like just doing basic problems to solidify the content; then move to trickier ones. Textbooks are generally written such that the first few questions are just using the formula etc. That will help you figure out what to do. The later questions will help you adapt your knowledge to new situations.

c) Limericks. They are fun ways to remember formulas etc.

There are similar strategies for testing etc (don't have time to list em). 

TL;DR: Figure out why you're struggling and work on it since heaps of unis need SL for finance majors.

• Like 1