Can you get into any UK university, with an IB English B?

Kil- STRO

Hey I am a native English speaker and I was just wondering if UK universities such as Nottingham, Oxford or Cambridge would allow college applications of students with English taken as a second language (acquisition).

FYI; I'll be leaning over my sciences courses (physics and maths) in UNI. 

If you do not meet English requirements, you will be required to take either the IELTS or TOEFL tests as a part of your university application. Usually if your Diploma Programme is taught in English and that you pass one of these tests, the university should not reject your application on basis of language. If you intend to apply with English B, you should check with the university to see if you need to take these tests, but you probably need to. The same tests are also used to meet language requirements in the US.

2 minutes ago, Kil- STRO said:

So, does it also mean the requirements for the TOEFL or IELTS test, differ for different colleges throughout the UK?

I mean that I am not familiar with UK schools enough to say with certainty that the TOEFL or IELTS requirements are uniform. But generally a score like 7.5 in IELTS or 110 on TOEFL is sufficient to demonstrate acceptable English proficiency. 

Some schools, such as Oxford, makes the requirement as low as English B SL level 5, but some may not be as generous. Cambridge, on the other hand, makes no mention of this so it really depends.

11 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

I mean that I am not familiar with UK schools enough to say with certainty that the TOEFL or IELTS requirements are uniform. But generally a score like 7.5 in IELTS or 110 on TOEFL is sufficient to demonstrate acceptable English proficiency. 

Some schools, such as Oxford, makes the requirement as low as English B SL level 5, but some may not be as generous. Cambridge, on the other hand, makes no mention of this so it really depends.

Thanks for the HELP

On 5/29/2018 at 1:20 PM, Kil- STRO said:

ARE u sure, because one of my teachers at school, says I can't

Although, he is from the US, and only got intel on US universities. 

Yes, I am sure, because I got into: Oxford, UCL, Queen Mary, Cass Business School, Exeter and Newcastle with English B HL. And I could go on with a list of my classmates who got into other UK universities with English B HL and diploma done in English. You do not need to take IELTS or TOEFL. Unless you're doing IB in French or Spanish. 

Edited by Gaby

11 minutes ago, Gaby said:

Yes, I am sure, because I got into: Oxford, UCL, Queen Mary, Cass Business School, Exeter and Newcastle with English B HL. And I could go on with a list of my classmates who got into other UK universities with English B HL and diploma done in English. You do need to take IELTS or TOEFL. Unless you're doing IB in French or Spanish. 

What if I am taking another language, apart from FRENCH & SPANISH for my group 1, do I still have to have to do IELTS or TOEFL?

4 minutes ago, Kil- STRO said:

What if I am taking another language, apart from FRENCH & SPANISH for my group 1, do I still have to have to do IELTS or TOEFL?

No, it's kind of obvious that if you're doing English B, that your language A is something different. It doesn't matter what language A you do. I did Polish A Literature. 

You can, however, do an IB DIPLOMA (as in, all of your subjects apart from languages) in English, French or Spanish, so that'd mean that you'd probably need to take a language test if you did not do you DIPLOMA in English. And that was what I meant by doing IB in French or Spanish. 

• 4 years later...

• On 5/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, Gaby said:

Yes, I am sure, because I got into: Oxford, UCL, Queen Mary, Cass Business School, Exeter and Newcastle with English B HL. And I could go on with a list of my classmates who got into other UK universities with English B HL and diploma done in English. You do need to take IELTS or TOEFL. Unless you're doing IB in French or Spanish. 

What Ib classes did you have, and what did u go for in university?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2022 at 10:08 AM, hera said:

• What Ib classes did you have, and what did u go for in university?

Thanks

I did HL English B, History and Psychology, SL Maths, Polish Lit and Chemistry. I initially went to Oxford for Law, but it didn't work for me, and I ended up doing Business Studies at City, University of London, and that's the degree i completed.