Failed all my MYP Math tests? Got 1's on all of them?

changlix

My last year of MYP (10th grade) ended 2 weeks ago, and I read through my math scores just now. Oh my god I fcked up so bad I didn't study for any of my math tests due to my personal insecurities (haha). I literally got 1's for every criterion A test in math for my final year of MYP -- my scores for the other math criterions are fine though. How do I improve this once DP Y1 starts in 2 months??? I have no motivation. Should I study the DP textbook throughout summer??? Am I gonna fail in life if i'm extremely bad at math?

11 hours ago, changlix said:

Am I gonna fail in life if i'm extremely bad at math?

No. 

I'm not sure about what you meant by not studying and personal insecurities but my advice is this: There's no point in trying to study the material up ahead if you're still not sure about the math you learned this year or in previous. When you feel a bit more motivated, go through what you've learned throughout MYP and note which concepts gave you trouble. Practice them really well until you're 100% confident in your ability. There are many great tutorials on Youtube/KhanAcademy, and of course, you can ask questions here, if you feel like you need a refresher.

• Like 2

I like the suggestion of KhanAcademy. Criterion A is the easiest to improve because you can just drill through problem after problem. I suggest a minimum of 60-90 minutes of intensive studying in 20-30 minute intervals every day during the summer. You should focus on algebra and only get to statistics or geometry when you have the time. I think just to be safe, start from grade 7 and 8 and do their unit tests in each module, and for grade 9-10 you can go through specific modules and work on weak points. 

• 2 months later...

Omg almost the same thing happened to me. I will be starting DP in 1 week and I’m really worried because on our final exam I got 3. I was devastated since I am a top student and many people got like 6. I don’t know what to do, my teacher was relatively good but I didn’t understand anything from her and she didn’t know how to answer questions. I got to a point where I just went and sat down without understanding a single thing. Then I did my best to study with videos but our useless teacher put like 20 topics and the exam was just about like 4.

please help, I’m very worried I could fail math next year, what is the best way to study, is math very hard on DP?

I mean KhanAcademy is more about just videos as they have an abundance of exercises. Other than previous tips, only thing I can add is you have to make sure you learn what is taught today before tomorrow otherwise the content just accumulates and it is difficult to catch up.