IB Economics Course Companion typo!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've noticed a number of typos and general errors in many of my IB books. This is particularly an issue because these Course Companion books have only recently been released (2007, 2008) and so they're only the first edition and thus haven't been edited for typos.

I would also suggest using Economics from a Global Perspective by Glanville. It contains a lot of nice examples and explanations, but also a bit of stuff that you don't really need to know. It's good if you have lots of time on your hands to study... Has anyone else used this one before?

Yes that's the book that our school uses as the textbook for SL Economics (there's no HL Econ Available at my school). Its good but it has the worst explanation on market failure. Had to use course companion, even our teacher agreed. However, I recommend this book be only used as a textbook and not anything else (unless you like reading for fun).

^ Yeah I agree that it should only be used as a text book. The course companion is more convenient for semi-fast revising because it gives brief explanations but doesn't elaborate as much as the green book. Then the most concise one is the "Economics for the IB diploma" study guide (purple cover with money) which is for cramming or quick reviewing if you want to refresh your memory on stuff you did a while back.

[quote name='CocoPop' post='33769' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:45 AM']^ Yeah I agree that it should only be used as a text book. The course companion is more convenient for semi-fast revising because it gives brief explanations but doesn't elaborate as much as the green book. Then the most concise one is the "Economics for the IB diploma" study guide (purple cover with money) which is for cramming or quick reviewing if you want to refresh your memory on stuff you did a while back.[/quote]

I know this seems obvious but can one really "learn" from the econ study guide or is it more like notes professionally published to help u do well on ib exam?

[quote name='masson' post='33845' date='Jan 17 2009, 03:40 AM']I know this seems obvious but can one really "learn" from the econ study guide or is it more like notes professionally published to help u do well on ib exam?[/quote]
If by study guide you're referring to the thin purple book, then I'd say that it's better to use a book that elaborates more to learn new concepts. The blue course companion is better for learning new concepts because it's got more of a text book layout, whereas the study guide has a more notes-style layout that you'd generally use after you've already learned the topic and just want to run through it. Another use of the thin study guide is to use it during lessons - open it up at the page of the topic which you're studying in class and have a quick read through it after you've discussed it in class just to get a better grasp of the topic. This works for the sciences as well.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...