Geography IA topic choice HELP!

KATHERINEwjw

Hi, 

I'll have to decide on our ia topics by tomorrow! I came up with 2 potential ia topics but can't decide which one to do:

• Does my city fit the multi-nuclei model?
  • What factors affect the sphere of influence of the local supermarket/store?

With the 1st one I'll need to find certain features in the, say 5-6, potential commercial centers in my city, and use the definitions to prove that they are indeed CBDs, and then piece them together. There're a few classmates with similar topics and we're supposed to go in groups, but still it might be pretty tough fieldwork?

With the latter I'll first measure the sphere of influence, and then come up with affecting factors, like the types of goods they sell. Problem is, the effect of sth on sth is usually pretty relative, means there has to be a range of variables? Like I need to go from the grocery to the supermarket and to a department store? That would be too much for 2500 words. 

Has anyone done similar topics before? Any tips on that? Which one should I do???

Thanks a lot. 

Edited by KATHERINEwjw

• 5 months later...

Hey KATHERINEwjw!

This reply might be a little too late but I would have personally chosen your first topic. A simple IA topic is fine as long as you do plenty of fieldwork and have a good analysis. I personally feel that the second topic would be better as an Extended Essay topic. I hope this helps! 

Good Luck with IB!

- Irma