Can Choosing Maths Studies Limit My Choice in Universities

Hi,

I'm currently at the end of my first year in IB and possibly be predicted for a grade of 27 only! All because of Math and Physics(not really important at this thread). I originally chose Maths HL but soon downgraded to Maths SL and now I'm thinking of Math Studies. I'm just not good with numbers as in any other subjects I excel in it e.g English or Geo or Business. I chose Maths SL to ensure my choices aren't limited to only a few choices(University courses). I'm only really interested in the following courses:

- Business Management

- Finance and Accounting

- Geography/International relation

- Politics/law

Thank you,

I can't speak for all unis, but for all Australian (and I'm guessing a fair few US/UK ones), math studies will hinder you in Busines Management and Finance and Accounting. I would try to understand where you're going wrong and try to work on that. Perhaps look into getting a tutor.

For politics and/or Int relations, you should be OK. I can't imagine they would be too picky on the math aspect.  A close friend of mine tells me that Geography actually involves a fair amount of statistics. Therefore, I'm not sure if unis would let you join with math studies.

Certainly there are universities that would accept Math studies for commerce based subjects, but they would be fewer.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

2 minutes ago, King112 said:

I can't speak for all unis, but for all Australian (and I'm guessing a fair few US/UK ones), math studies will hinder you in Busines Management and Finance and Accounting. I would try to understand where you're going wrong and try to work on that. Perhaps look into getting a tutor.

For politics and/or Int relations, you should be OK. I can't imagine they would be too picky on the math aspect.  A close friend of mine tells me that Geography actually involves a fair amount of statistics. Therefore, I'm not sure if unis would let you join with math studies.

Certainly there are universities that would accept Math studies for commerce based subjects, but they would be fewer.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Hi, yes Geography does have a fair bit of stats e.g Spearman's/Pearson's. My main concern really is, are they only going to be looking at the overall grade? Because only Math and Physics are pulling me down.

Yes. Most unis look at the overall. They have a cutoff (at least UK/Australian) unis do, and often requirements in that cutoff. 
So for example, Uni X says "we need 32 points with a  566 at HL with Physics HL" (just an example). So then they will look at the overall grade and the specific requirements.

It is possible, and I'd say likely, that if you meet the requirements they will look at the other grades too. So let's say a uni needs 27 points, and you meet that, then they will look at individual scores. Depends on the uni though.

Hope that helps.