Theatre Research Paper (HL)

Zasxee

I need help understanding how to write the theatre research investigation (the one where you have to write about a specific aspect of a play). My old theatre teacher left in the middle of the year and my new one didn't explain it clearly, so I was wondering if anyone knows how I should procede in writing it.

I, too, was lost a few days ago. The criteria has changed for this year, so I can understand your pain. From my understanding, you need to choose a style of theater and within that, a specific play that exemplifies that style. I chose a style of Japanese theater [Noh], but there are many practices to choose from. Good Luck. Try Wikipedia.

From what I understand, you take on the role of a "dramaturg", someone who researches the history of a specific style of theatre (i.e. Kabuki, Commedia, etc.) for a director. After you've chosen a style you pick a play that could be done in that style and give a brief overview of how it fits into that particular style.

I'm certain about the first part, I'm a bit shaky on the specific play part.

• Like 1

I also have no idea what I'm doing. I wrote a research commision my Junior Year and then my teacher realized that the syllabus had changed so now we have to redo the paper in just a few days. Any help as soon as possible would be appreciated!

I also have no idea what I'm doing. I wrote a research commision my Junior Year and then my teacher realized that the syllabus had changed so now we have to redo the paper in just a few days. Any help as soon as possible would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. We didn't find out about the new ib criteria for theatre either until this year. So now we have to do 4 IB assessments in a year, adn its not fun. Although I do like the Independant Project, and the Practical Preformance Proposal wasnt to bad, but the Research investigation is pretty awful, adn I'm not sure wht the other one is. Apparently some sort of Oral Report?

But for your research investigation you need to pick a type of theatre, and then pick a play that fits into that type. Then you analyse how a certain aspect fo that play could be preformed using your research on the type of theatre you picked.

For example, I chose Romanticism for my type of theatre, and my play is les Miserables. I'm doing my project on set design.

A Friend of mine chose Kabuki theatre and I'm nto sure what play she chose, but she's doing it on how men must move to play female characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my theatre tradition and specific play but I don't know where to go from there. I was thinking of taking the role of a director but I don't know what specific aspects of the play I'm supposed to analyze and what parts of the play I would discuss in the paper. Basically, I was wondering a general outline for the research paper, no matter what role you take on.

You should not take on the role of a director (from what I understand), instead that of a dramaturg. The dramaturg works on the historical and cultural research into the play and its setting (from good old Wikipedia). Use your play and your tradition together to come up with a research question. Here's an example:

Tradition/Practice: Commedia dell'arte

Play: A Servant of Two Masters

Research Question: How would an actor speak and move when playing Truffaldino in A Servant of Two Masters?

This is an excellent question as you have a specific play, and specific practice, and you focus on a specific aspect of theatre (physical movement and speech). You would then go on to say how Arlecchino (from Commedia) moves, and how that movement applies to Truffaldino. You would need to be quite technical and provide examples (using diagrams, pictures) of how to move.

You can pick virtually any aspect. Pick an aspect that appeals to you and/or you are experienced in.

Hope that helped!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some information I got from my teacher that should definitely help...

I've got some handouts on the research investigation that I can forward to any theatre students that need it. just email me at *************** requesting the research investigation hand out and I shall forward the files to you.

I also have some similar hand outs for the ppp, the tppp and the ip...

good luck guys, I'm battling through my RI as I type :)

Some are having problems with the Research Investigation and it is essential that teachers are clear that this is NOT a creative exercise, it is a research exercise. The students are not taking on a role and they are not adapting research to fit a planned production they have taken on.

The question  regarding the RI should be:

Is there a play/ text /piece of theatre from this practice?

Can a student research this and apply it to an aspect of the play?

The play/performance piece MUST come from the practice selected.

Theatre practice is broad and inclusive and there is no penalty or discrimination regarding any particular practice- this is not one of the criteria- as long as the student can fulfill the requirements of the task. The new programme's aim is to broaden what is regarded as theatre practice, not limit it.

As the Guide states on page 27: 'Students should select a specific aspect of a play or theatre piece from the chosen theatrical practice to research, and then formulate a research question to answer. Students should collect, edit and present their research to contribute to a realization of the play/theatre piece from the chosen theatrical practice.'

Failure to follow this will affect the students' grades.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm also in the process of chosing my Research Investigation and I'm afraid of making the wrong choices! I started researching on Asian theatre and became quite fond of Kathakali, a tradition from Southern India? I could work on the play Duryodhana Vadham (focusing on the Mahabharata war after profiling the build-up to it) what do you guys think??

Is it too difficult? Should I find something "easier?" There's a lot of resources available, as Kathakali has become very popular in the UK. Also, I also have to make sure that this research does not turn out to be a "creative assignment" and instead a reasearch theatre arts projects.

I'm keen on reading your answers!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can send you one of mine which got like the top score

Hey,i know the post is one year old,can u help me by sending ur IR!!

i ma having alot of problems with this!!i wrote a Ir on Bristish Pantomime but it got shout down by my teacher!!

now i am exploring for new ideas and i dont have alot of time left!

i ma having alot of problems with this!!i wrote a Ir on Bristish Pantomime but it got shout down by my teacher!!

Me too! I am completely and desperately lost. I have no idea what I am doing. I have the question, but that is about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too! I am completely and desperately lost. I have no idea what I am doing. I have the question, but that is about it.

Can I have a copy of your IR as well? Thanks, that would be great help!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post! I was (and needless to say, still am) confused.

We have to hand in the first draft of the R.I. on Friday and even though I have decided on a tradition (Kathakali theatre) and I have excellent sources, I don't have a specific play, really...

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Habee