What was your IOP topic?

dexter

I'm comparing the text and illustrated version of the poem London by William Blake but I don't know how to begin working on my IOP! How do I start and should I use a ppt?

divide your presentation into parts..and time the parts.. stuff like that.. so you have like a whole paragraph for your intro.. you can say what text your working with and your topic, and link it to the book and add some cool stuff which you can use to continue the whole thing after that.. you can use a ppt but don't rely on it.. you should look spontaneous and attract the audience with your confidence and the way you talk.. make some references using the ppt, but don't entirely rely on it.. that's just my opinion.. not sure if others agree with this or not but i think it kind of makes sense :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am from Sweden and I have Swedish literature higher level. I would like to do my IOP on some swedish poems by a famous writer from Sweden. My original idea was to first start with some background knowledge about the writer, then analyze two or three poems by her rather quickly, nothing major but more on the surface. Allt the time focusing on how she uses the language. I then want to make the presentation interactive by picking out key words from these poems and letting the other students "create" a new poem. For instance by letting them pick one word each at a time, until we have a new poem. Then just finnish off by saying something like "now we have created a poem in true Karin Boye-spirit!" (Karin Boye being her name).

Is this idea totally off topic when it comes to IOP's? Any ideas on how I can make it more relevant? My plan B is to compare one poem she wrote BEFORE she got very sick, and one poem from when she WAS sick. Focusing on how her attitude and "life spirit" in the poems have changed.

I am from Sweden and I have Swedish literature higher level. I would like to do my IOP on some swedish poems by a famous writer from Sweden. My original idea was to first start with some background knowledge about the writer, then analyze two or three poems by her rather quickly, nothing major but more on the surface. Allt the time focusing on how she uses the language. I then want to make the presentation interactive by picking out key words from these poems and letting the other students "create" a new poem. For instance by letting them pick one word each at a time, until we have a new poem. Then just finnish off by saying something like "now we have created a poem in true Karin Boye-spirit!" (Karin Boye being her name).

Is this idea totally off topic when it comes to IOP's? Any ideas on how I can make it more relevant? My plan B is to compare one poem she wrote BEFORE she got very sick, and one poem from when she WAS sick. Focusing on how her attitude and "life spirit" in the poems have changed.

Your IOP needs to be based on the books that you read for Part 4 of the course. It has to be related, but you have freedom about what you do with them.

Your IOP needs to be based on the books that you read for Part 4 of the course. It has to be related, but you have freedom about what you do with them.

That's weird. We have received instructions clearly saying that we can do our IOP on any of the books we have been working on, OR any of the poems.

That's weird. We have received instructions clearly saying that we can do our IOP on any of the books we have been working on, OR any of the poems.

Then you probably have been working on the books that correspond to part 4 of the course. And if they arent, this might be a practice IOP.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lognarithm

I did mine on religious motifs in Dracula - specifically The use of Christian and other religious motifs in Dracula creating an underlying theme of salvation and damnation in the novel. Got a 5, so it wasn't too bad.

Edited by Lognarithm

• 2 weeks later...

My IOP arose a passionate argument about reading, which ended a friendship (such is the power of a book!).

Nabokov's _Lolita_.

The book seemed more about reading than the poignant fate of a pre-adolescent girl or the discrete charm of a child molester (lover?). So my title was "Guilty pleasures and narratorial traps" , kind of clumsy but there it is.

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 1 month later...

I'm doing mine in a couple days comparing the portrayal of women in Margaret Atwood's "The Loneliness of the Military Historian" versus Alistair MacLeod's "The Boat" and "In the Fall".

One of my classmates did a really interesting presentation: she acted as both the speaker of the poem (pre-recorded), and a psychologist who analyzed the figurative language between video clips.

• 1 month later...

For my IOP I wrote 4 pieces of creative writing (poems to be precise) and then I analysed them. Each poem was written from a perspective of one of the characters from Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde: Mr Utterson, Dr Jekyll, Mr Hyde and the little girl that was trampled by Mr Hyde. I think it went well despite the fact that English is not my native language and I got 7 : )

• Like 1

I did a comparison of mother figures though the characterization of Diasy the Great Gatsby, Billy Bibbit's mother and Chief's mother One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and Anja in Maus, and just analyzed motherhood in those novel lol it was kinda weird

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The historical inspiration for the Spies of 1984, or rather how Orwell copied the Soviet Pioneers. Easy to get bonus points when you have pictures of your seven-year-old parents on the powerpoint screen and use "first-person sources", otherwise known as my parents' stories about their childhoods.