What was your IOP topic?

dexter

I did my IOP on the universality of religion. Basically, proving the Pi (the protagonist in Life of Pi) can be a true follower of Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism simultaneously because in essence, each religion is the same. I said that the religions had the common goal of becoming one with a higher power. So, essentially, Pi did not follow three separate religions, but only one. I thought it was a really good idea. Hope that helps.

Edited by TURBANator1992

I have to do my IOP within the next 3 weeks and i have absolutely no idea about a topic

I can choose from three books

• Oedipus Rex
    Death of a Salesman
    and Educating Rita

I thought about the character development of Antigone in Oedipus but I don't know how i would talk for 15 minutes about that :P

Does anyone have any suggestions about other topics? or ways i could extend this one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Lisa.

Mine was quick and eassssyyyyyy.

An analysis of 'kites' as a symbol in the kite runner.

I did it all a night before the presentation day

Procrastinator extraordinaire, moi.

That was the first all-nighter I had ever pulled.

Edited by littleone

wow, mine's in about a week and i have absolutely no clue on what im going to do yet. after reading the whole thread, i realised that no one here does the books my school is doing for the IOP section :)

we're doing Perfume by Partrick Suskind, Regeneration by Pat Barker, Alias Grace by Margeret Atwood and True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey :\

but my initial idea is something along the lines of 'the significance of the title Perfume'. What do you guys think? is it too overdone??

wow, mine's in about a week and i have absolutely no clue on what im going to do yet. after reading the whole thread, i realised that no one here does the books my school is doing for the IOP section :)

we're doing Perfume by Partrick Suskind, Regeneration by Pat Barker, Alias Grace by Margeret Atwood and True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey :\

but my initial idea is something along the lines of 'the significance of the title Perfume'. What do you guys think? is it too overdone??

It's probably a bit predictable, but I don't think they take marks off for that! :) We had a load of people do extremely predictable topics in our class and still do really well as originality isn't really one of the criteria.

It's probably a bit predictable, but I don't think they take marks off for that! XD We had a load of people do extremely predictable topics in our class and still do really well as originality isn't really one of the criteria.

yeah that's true.. i have to agree that it's way overdone. but then again even though its boring and predictable, i am confident i can do it well and get a good grade for it. i guess that's what it all comes down to at the end :( but i do wish i was more of a risk taker though. for our practice one, everyone did the standard presentation using powerpoint,and i think the same thing's going to happen for the real ones. i guess you could say my class would rather take the safe and boring road than be spontaneous and adventurous.

I took a historical approach on mine. It was about how the 1920s society affects the family life of characters in The Great Gatsby. My teacher said normally she would condemn IOPs about the effect of the 1920s on the characters, because she sees that topic way too often. However, I was allowed to do mine, because I focused on families rather than individuals. I ended up with the highest score in my class, but I don't know what the number would be after it is converted to the IB scale (she graded it as a regular class assignment as well on her own scale from 1 to 30).

• 3 weeks later...

I did mine comparing Oodgeroo of the Noonuccal's poem We Are Going and Wind from Sardines and Oranges, about the use of the anthropomorphic fallacy to depict different societies' ways of coping with change.

I think as with World Lit, it's good to have a very narrow topic - it also depends on how fast you speak, as well!

My teacher limited everyone to oral commentaries or visual interpretations - I did the former, as did most of the students in my class. It got pretty dull, to say the least. Given school closures from weather, we didn't have much time to prepare for our IOPs. For some reason we were given a 10-minute time limit, which I barely made. I had to cut at least 5 minutes out of my speech lol. Our teacher never converts our score to the IB scale, so I'm not sure what I got but I think I did okay.

In IB1 (the first year of full IB? I never see this term used aside from online forums) I was a diehard procrastinator and did my IOP the night before. It was about avian symbolism in The Awakening... enough said. I was going to do a comparison on how the protagonists of The Awakening and Invisible Man attain self-realization in societies that repress their individuality, which I think could have been a little more interesting (and original), but I didn't plan for that properly.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I did mine yesterday it was an oral expose on the role of the investigator in expressing criticisms of humanity and society in Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow and The Murders in the Rue Morgue. I had fun doing it and even though our teacher isn't allowed to give back our marks from what she has communicated to me i'm pretty sure I got a 7 :P

• 1 month later...