Hi!~

I'm going to start the first year of IB this year. My subjects are:

Eng A LangLit HL
French B SL
Psychology HL
Physics HL
Chemistry SL
Math SL

I'm thinking of biomedical engineering and I have the option to study biology later after the IB if I need it (I can't switch to bio now). Do I need Math HL (I really really don't want to do it) or will SL be enough for me?

Thank you so much! :)

Edited by Purple1502

Basically if you don't do math HL now, math courses in your major may be overwhelming. Math HL is highly recommended if not required for most UK universities, and is highly recommended for other countries. SL generally makes you less favored than some other applicants, especially at a competitive university. In my opinion, if you are not taking either Chem or Bio at HL, taking Math HL is an excellent way to show you want to do BME because Physics HL is algebra-based not calculus-based.

Why do you really really do not want to take HL? What is your math background? The obvious downside to Math HL is that it is time-consuming and stressful. It may be a worthwhile sacrifice if you are really serious about engineering. Basically most engineering courses at 3rd and 4th years are much more difficult than Math HL so I mean it's good practice. 

18 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Basically if you don't do math HL now, math courses in your major may be overwhelming. Math HL is highly recommended if not required for most UK universities, and is highly recommended for other countries. SL generally makes you less favored than some other applicants, especially at a competitive university. In my opinion, if you are not taking either Chem or Bio at HL, taking Math HL is an excellent way to show you want to do BME because Physics HL is algebra-based not calculus-based.

Why do you really really do not want to take HL? What is your math background? The obvious downside to Math HL is that it is time-consuming and stressful. It may be a worthwhile sacrifice if you are really serious about engineering. Basically most engineering courses at 3rd and 4th years are much more difficult than Math HL so I mean it's good practice. 

Thank you so much for you response. I don't want to do Math HL because it isn't really my strength and I don't enjoy it as much. I prefer the sciences (which may seem ironic considering I took Physics, but it has theory combined with math). I hoped that since it's biology and 'life' related I wouldn't need math as much. 

6 hours ago, Purple1502 said:

Thank you so much for you response. I don't want to do Math HL because it isn't really my strength and I don't enjoy it as much. I prefer the sciences (which may seem ironic considering I took Physics, but it has theory combined with math). I hoped that since it's biology and 'life' related I wouldn't need math as much. 

At my uni, BME is with the engineering not with biology. This is typical. As such, admissions will be similar with other engineering. I think you should reconsider going into BME if math is not your strength.