IB assessment test

Matthof

I'm starting IB in September but today I've received an e-mail from my school where it says I'll have to complete an assessment test (about maths and English I think) on Thursday. 

I'm freaking out, has anyone had something similar ?

Thanks.

I'm not on IB I'm still in middle school but  basically what's going on is you need to take an entrance exam, I'm still not sure why they do it however I do know that you have exactly 1 hour to finish a language grammar, vocabulary correction and fill in the blank type of thing and there usually is an essay that needs to written that has a limit of 200-250 words. The math test is going to be based of off the grade 7 and 8 cirriculam so nothing you should really worry about there and I believe that some school also do French however it's not mandatory after grade 9. There's no point of stressing because you won't get enough sleep which will cause you brain to become foggy which will give you a hard time during the actual test. A trick I learned is to write everything you know first because then the facts will slowly start popping up as information comes up. I wish you the best of luck and hope that everything goes. At this point your test is tommorow (if you live in mississauga) so just read and look over anything in math that you may have questions about or try going to gauss. It's a math contest hosted by the university of Waterloo that's the grade 7 and 8 cirricilam I did it and was able to score 121 out of 150 which isn't that bad. I hope that this information was help and good luck! 

I had to write an entrance exam to qualify for the IB Program, but this was more so something that the school arranged. For me, it was also a math and English-based test, though in my experience, the math was based on more "thinking" type of problems? As in, the mathematical calculations weren't very difficult. English was more reading comprehension, and a short timed (20-minute) paragraph piece. Oh, and critical thinking questions, but I'm not sure if that counts as English.

However, my friend who also applied to the IB Program (at another school in our city) also wrote an exam, but it was different between the two schools-- probably because it's at the discretion of the school itself?

For example, my test was very different from the exam that Omar described above, so there's no telling what might be on your examination.

Seeing how you've already been accepted into IB, however, I think Vighnesh's answer seems a lot more plausible, to determine your skill level in those classes and such.

Anyways, sorry for the long-ish answer, and I wish you all the best on the exam! No need to fret, I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Yes, Solstice you made a good point becuase after farther research about this topic in more depth i learned that almost every school is different becuase my local IB school is what i described but another one (i forgot where) had to write french as well. 

3 hours ago, Omar_A395 said:

Yes, Solstice you made a good point becuase after farther research about this topic in more depth i learned that almost every school is different becuase my local IB school is what i described but another one (i forgot where) had to write french as well. 

Yes, but keep in mind that the OP is from Italy, so presumably they wouldn't have to write a French assessment.

Anyways, by now they definitely would've written their exam. Hopefully everything went well!

I've done the test today (we were split in 2 groups). It was the CEM IBE test which theoretically should predict our final grade for each subject.

I found it quite similar to the UKCAT, I just hope I haven't screwed up too much.

Thank you guys for your help, have a nice day !

• Like 2