How do I prepare for IB SL Math if I absolutely suck at it?

LiquidSoap

I'll be beginning the first year of the diploma program in September and I'm worried. Generally, I'm confident that if I put in 100% effort into my work  I'll do fine in every subject that I've chosen, however I'm not so sure about math. This year (Gr. 10), I put in very minimal effort and I got a 68 in my general math class, which was around 22 points under the average. While I plan to put in an astronomical amount of effort into 11th and 12th grade, I'm still afraid that my best won't be enough.

I really want to prepare myself during the summer. So far, I've bought the Pre-IB Math prep book by the OSC. For the most part, I just want to make sure that I know the material that I should have learned this year rather than get into the math that'll learn in the next (although that won't hurt either). Also, my bad math marks are the result of basically 10% low effort and 90% I'm actually bad at math (or at least have a hard time grasping it), so I can't just ride off the fact that I keep saying I'll try harder, because I guarentee that won't be enough.

Thanks guys, any resource is sure to help me, big or small.

Have you had a teacher or math class that you grasped a lot of material? If so , try to replicate the teaching methods. KhanAcademy is a free and highly praised website to improve math. You may have to (briefly) review material from way back in grade 7 or 8 to just build a strong foundation. 

To study math, you have to study regularly, such as daily. Start by practicing easy problems , in which you just plug in numbers or use a very systemized method to solve. Only attempt IB problems when you grasped the basics. You need to be patient and focused during study sessions. A good study habit is better than tremendous efforts spent at the wrong things (which include becoming distracted while studying, studying too many topics at once, starting from the hardest problems, moving on before not completely understanding solution)

• Like 1