Preparing over summer

KitMcCarthy

I start the IBDP in August, and will be taking HL Maths (at least initially...). I absolutely adore maths, and am really excited about it.

Unfortunately, my maths teaching up until now has been quite disjointed. Accordingly, although in general I am very good at maths, I could definitely do with consolidating some of my foundational skills.

To ensure I am properly prepared come the end of the summer, I’m hoping to spend time over the holiday improving my maths. Could you advise on the topics I should try to cover — and suggest any good resources (textbooks, practise question sources) that I should try to obtain to help me practise?

Any help greatly appreciated - thank you!!

K.

In the HL Math guide, there is a list of prior knowledge topics. This include rationalizing denominators, sets (union, intersection), set notation of interval, solving linear and quadratic equations and inequalities, solving system of 2 linear equations, intersection/perpendicular lines, distance between point and line, to name a few. You should become very familiar with such topics and be able to solve them without hesitation (in 20-30s or less). I suggest practicing on KhanAcademy. When you feel comfortable, you may want to read ahead.