Math HL IA Help

Lucky-

I am really struggling on creating a topic for my math HL IA. My tecaher siad that I need to have a stimulus first then use math concept to explore that stimulus. 

I want to doing something involves in calculus, is there any real life stimulus that involve calculus and suitable for a higher level math exploration.

Many Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Differential equations are generally the go-to for calculus IA's, or PDE's are common for modelling fluid flow (Perhaps fluid dynamics might interest you). For integration finding the volume of a shape, such as the Pringle can be very difficult if you spend a while on the modelling part and it sounds simple at first. But make sure if you apply Calculus you keep it mathematical, and don't go into any of the physics of the problem as that can hurt your mark, at least that's what my teacher told me (Originally I was going to do my IA on measuring smoothness through topology and PDE's, of artwork, such as the Dog by Jeff Koons, so that might be interesting if you like art).