What do you think of my ideas for Maths IA topics?

abblob

Hello! 

Just putting it out there that I’m new to this site, so please forgive me if I haven’t done this correctly or anything. :)

I’m planning on starting my IB maths IA exploration for my HL class these holidays, and I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas for good topics? I’m interested in algebra, calculus and geometry. 

I do have some ideas for topics, and I’m leaning towards:

• Fractals - I’m not sure if this is a good topic or not, as after hours of scrolling through threads on here many people have said that it is too complicated? I had originally planned to perhaps figure out some formulas regarding some of the simpler fractal designs like the Koch snowflake, and maybe looking at the coastline paradox. Is this a good topic, and if so what else could be explored? I do find fractals quite intriguing but I’m just not sure what could be explored. 
  • Amusement park mathematics - I personally think that this topic could be interesting to explore. I was thinking that I could look at roller coasters and Ferris wheels, and maybe those clown mouth things where you throw balls in them. I thought I could calcalate speed, height, surface area, cost and derivatives of the Ferris wheel and roller coaster, and also find out how to get the ball in the clown’s mouth using maths. What else could be explored, and is the maths advanced enough?
  • Famous structures around the world - I thought for this topic I could explore structures like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Eiffel Tower, etc. and discuss their surface area, cost, safety, angles, etc. What else could I explore amongst these structures that would be unique and interesting? And is the maths sufficient for this level?

That’s all the ideas that I was considering, I was thinking of modelling some data that was unique, but I think this topic has been done a lot so I don’t know. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Fractals: The hard part about doing off--syllabus topics is linking them to the syllabus. You may have to be creative in doing so and need to ensure what you are presenting on fractals are correct. 

Amusement  parks: It's important to stay organized and not focus on quantity of calculations. You should demonstrate some level of personal insight and systematic way in your approach. In general one very good problem is often enough.

Structures: Again, it could be better to just focus on one aspect of the structures. 

Another approach is to brainstorm what theorems or concepts you like to explore further in algebra, calculus and geometry. Then find an application or entry point that you want to discuss. 

Thank you for the quick reply and for your feedback. I think I’m going to do amusement parks and focus on roller coasters. Do you think I should explore speed, surface area/cost, derivatives or something else?

Thanks again! 

It doesn't really matter as long as 1) you know what you are talking about 2) the math is correct and organized 3) it connects different topics in the syllabus. I think when properly done, any or all of the three would be ok as long as you connect the calculus to some other topic(s). Geometry wouldn't really count, so just connect to functions and or trig.