Want to be born ready for Chem HL

Cheesekiller

Hey guys,

So im starting Chemistry HL next year. I was hoping to get a head start on the syllabus so I dont get that stressed. These summer holidays is all I have. Im really curious to know what its like to have chemistry HL for the first few months. What does the teacher cover? Do they go straight into the syllabus and start with Stoichiometry , expecting that the student knows some chemistry basics, or do they cover the basics in the first month, and then get started with the syllabus. 

Im also curious about how much the teacher goes into depth about each topic, considering the fact its an HL class. For example, i was reading through Atomic structure recently   (Zumdhal, Chemistry 4th edition) and found that they were explaining The Quantum Mechanical Model of the Atom, Quantum mechanics, wave functions, to explain orbitals,  whereas in the Pearson Chemistry HL Catrin Brown  book, they werent explaining anything into that much detail, just sorta laying it all out, without proper explanation. 

Does the teacher go deep like Zumdhal or Pearson? 

• Cheesekiller changed the title to Want to be born ready for Chem HL

Do Pearson Chemistry HL Catrin Brown and it's all you need. 

You never need to be born ready for Chemistry HL. I went from a 3 in Chemistry SL during my first year of DP to obtaining a high 7 in Chemistry HL from the IB in my final examinations.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

Do Pearson Chemistry HL Catrin Brown and it's all you need. 

You never need to be born ready for Chemistry HL. I went from a 3 in Chemistry SL during my first year of DP to obtaining a high 7 in Chemistry HL from the IB in my final examinations.

Thank you for the reply! I'll stick to Catrin Brown from here on out. Do you remember what the first few months of Chemistry was like, was it rigorous? 

• 1 month later...

For us, we started with the very basics first that honestly was covered in previous years in Grade 9 and 10. We started with Unit 2: Atomic Structure, Unit 3: Periodicity, Unit 4: Bonding, then afterwards we covered Unit 1: Stoichiometry. It started out really easy, because it was all basics we learned before, so it was no problem for me. It did start to become troublesome however when we got to Stoich. The calculations were a hassle for me and it was hard for me to grasp the process and exactly how to do it. I'm not sure if your school will be the same, but I definitely had the most trouble with Stoich. ^^" What's most important is that you write down constant notes during class and lots and lots of practice worksheets and questions until it's ingrained in your brain lol. 

Oh just realized this was a really late reply. Oh, well best of luck!

As for textbooks, the one our teacher provided and expected us to read was Pearson's Chemistry HL. ^^

Edited by AwkCookie
  • Like 1