BAD IB EXAM RESULTS ... will it effect my chances into American universities

Ava123

So ib results for my exams weren’t great, I wanted to apply to American university’s in the future. Universities in California to be more specific. 

But I didn’t get any 6 or 7’s, I got 4’s and 5’s instead for sl math and sl chem.

As a first year IB student will this effect my chance in getting accepted to California universities???

Im planing to take Hl biology, English and psychology in year 2, if I can pull of a  level 5 in each, will that be ok???

idk what to do, please help...

Try doing your best on your remaining subjects. 

If SL Math & Chemistry were your final IB exams, then yes it will hurt your chances at the high-end UCs. Not all is lost though, as UC Berkeley & UCLA have pretty good pathways via community college so that's an option you can consider. 

On 7/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, Ava123 said:

So ib results for my exams weren’t great, I wanted to apply to American university’s in the future. Universities in California to be more specific. 

But I didn’t get any 6 or 7’s, I got 4’s and 5’s instead for sl math and sl chem.

As a first year IB student will this effect my chance in getting accepted to California universities???

Im planing to take Hl biology, English and psychology in year 2, if I can pull of a  level 5 in each, will that be ok???

idk what to do, please help...

As said above, you need really high grades to get into the top California universities. However, if you are not aiming for top-tier, you can still get accepted. Keep in mind that applications to American universities are not just about the grade. Your essay, extra curricular activities and whatever else they ask you for are also very important things to keep in mind. So you have to make sure you do loads outside of your IB classes, it can make the difference. Still, the higher the grades, the easier it will be to get accepted. 

19 hours ago, AndresLopez said:

As said above, you need really high grades to get into the top California universities. However, if you are not aiming for top-tier, you can still get accepted. Keep in mind that applications to American universities are not just about the grade. Your essay, extra curricular activities and whatever else they ask you for are also very important things to keep in mind. So you have to make sure you do loads outside of your IB classes, it can make the difference. Still, the higher the grades, the easier it will be to get accepted. 

Makes sense, thanks.

so what grades do you think I need to get on the rest of my hls to make up for the level 4 and 5 I have?

4 hours ago, Ava123 said:

Makes sense, thanks.

so what grades do you think I need to get on the rest of my hls to make up for the level 4 and 5 I have?

I would say at least a 6 to be on the safe side. Obviously a 7 would be great. With 5s you would risk not getting into the top colleges, but it might still be enough for others (again, this depends on the rest of your application). Aim as high as possible, and try not to get below a 5.