Can I change sl to hl maths in year 12?

Enterbot2

Thanks for the reply. It is just that my school requires a grade 9 in GCSE maths and i am fully capable of that but I made lots of mistakes so I am worried that I will get a grade 9. But your response is reassuring. So how would i start. I searched for revision guides but there are so many and I am not sure which one I should get. Could you maybe provide a link to a revision guide that would be able to teach me fully without the need for prior knowledge in the subject?

Thanks again. I am confident in all GCSE maths concepts although I need to learn to eradicate costly mistakes. But anyway, so this book explains everything well right and assumes you have not been taught the content in HL maths?

Also, as you have done or are doing the IB, could you tell me how you find certain subjects like English and humanities but also I am confused as to what the Tok and CAS is. Are you meant to present your ToK as well as provide a written essay.

I think concept- wise, the Pearson book is really good but in terms of questions, it may not that strong. I can't really judge your mathematical ability from GCSE grades, but definitely, people who are doing HL math in IB will understand it better. If you don't want to buy the book, you could open up the syllabus content and learn the concepts from KhanAcademy videos. He explains concepts in a very intuitive manner, so I think it will help.  Yes, English is manageable for me. I do English A: Lang and Lit, which is easier than both English A: Lit and English A: Literature and Performance. The only thing you have to do is bring out your own interpretation of texts and obviously know your texts inside-out. As far as Humanities is concerned, I take two of them, Economics and Psychology. What you need to know is that humanities subjects in the IB are essay based and are more subjective than science subjects. TOK is kinda like a philosophy course (it is easier and more interesting than it sounds) which requires you to reflect on the knowledge you gain in the IB, and not just blindly accept it. Yes, TOK requires a presentation as well as an essay. CAS stands for creativity, activity, and service, where you would have to engage yourself in various activities that you are interested in throughout the IB, like painting, playing an instrument or community service.

• Like 1

Economics is mostly theory, but in paper 2 we do have case studies related to international and development economics. Also, the internal assessment in Economics requires you to apply the theory learned to an article of economic significance.

Yes, business is seen as a soft subject, but I think you should think about your career prospects and interests before making a choice. You can still make a change within a month (it depends on your school), but I recommend that you should check the syllabus content so that you get a good idea of whatever you sign up for.

And, yes, I think that the Pearson book is better, but as I said,  watch some KhanAcademy videos. They are quite helpful

It will also depend on your school. It is technically possible to change your subjects up until the exam registration, but your school might not let you. So you will want to find out if your school is ok with increasing your Maths level during the programme (tbh, most people go down when it comes to Maths.)

2 hours ago, Enterbot2 said:

Ok that is fantastic. Btw, I am torn on if I should do chemistry, economics or business. I have heard that business is a soft subject but what do you learn in economics. It is application or just theory?

Hey there - I have been in the same position as you.

As a student interested in both science and commerce, I wanted to take both chemistry and economics/business. After a bit of research and asking seniors, I decided to take chemistry and economics. Chemistry so far is tolerable - you simply have to be diligent with a good sense of work ethics. I decided to take economics over business since it foresees the bigger aspect in a country's point of view, and I am personally loving it! Business on the other hand comes down to organizations and specific strategies they use for example.

In your case however, if you only can chose one between the three then make sure to see what interests you more and I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

Good luck bud!

• 1 year later...