Jump to content

IB Remarks

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Any advice on IB remarks on science and maths if you are 1 or 2 marks off a 7 ?

Most of the forums are from 3 or 4 yrs back. I am looking for some trends and stats from the last one or two yrs with IB remarks ?

Please can you brainstorm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have any statistics, however if you are just one mark away from a 7 you have a pretty good chance of your grade going up. Again, this is in theory, not based on statistics.

Do you need the 7 for something (e.g. getting into university) or is it just for your own satisfaction? If you don't need a higher grade, then it might not be worth the remark simply because if your grade doesn't improve, then you will have to pay. Remarks can be pretty expensive depending on your school and where you live.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AndresLopez for your response ... Yes just one more mark is required to get into a 7 for Chemistry as right now sitting in top of the upper boundary for 6. This will increase my total IB points which is one short now.

I have met the subject level offer for my course ..

School has found out that the internal course work has been moderated down by 4 marks which is going in for re-moderation .

i want to wait for the outcome of re-moderation which doesn’t carry the risk of going down and then do the re-mark if remoderation outcome was unsuccessful . Rather than doing both in parallel..

dont want to lose a mark in re-mark and gain one in re-moderation only to cancel each other out.

Any thoughts folks ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IBdesperate said:

Thanks AndresLopez for your response ... Yes just one more mark is required to get into a 7 for Chemistry as right now sitting in top of the upper boundary for 6. This will increase my total IB points which is one short now.

I have met the subject level offer for my course ..

School has found out that the internal course work has been moderated down by 4 marks which is going in for re-moderation .

i want to wait for the outcome of re-moderation which doesn’t carry the risk of going down and then do the re-mark if remoderation outcome was unsuccessful . Rather than doing both in parallel..

dont want to lose a mark in re-mark and gain one in re-moderation only to cancel each other out.

Any thoughts folks ??

Check the deadline to apply for remarks, I believe it is relatively soon after results come out. Also check how long it will take the IB to remoderate the internal assessments. You wouldn't want to risk losing the chance to remark because you've been waiting to see your remoderation results.

I doubt your remark would cancel out your remoderation if your remark drops your grade. You're a high 6, almost a 7, so for you to drop to a 5 your examiner would have had to be... negligent. There's no way they've marked 10-15 marks wrong. It could be that your mark drops a couple of points (worst case scenario) but is unlikely that it will drop a whole grade when you are on the boundary between 6 and 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks 

but what if I do them in paralllel and may be lose one mark in my re-mark but gain the same one mark in re-mod.

i would have ruined my chances right ?

thats my worry as I just need one mark to get one more IB point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or in other words where you have mentioned “it could be your mark drops a couple of points worst case scenario’

i just need that one point to make my mark go from 75 to 76 for a 7

if I do the remark now and lose the one mark and then if remoderation was successful and gained one mark then I would have dug myself a big hole but staying at 7

totally confused 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IBdesperate said:

Or in other words where you have mentioned “it could be your mark drops a couple of points worst case scenario’

i just need that one point to make my mark go from 75 to 76 for a 7

if I do the remark now and lose the one mark and then if remoderation was successful and gained one mark then I would have dug myself a big hole but staying at 7

totally confused 

That's just a risk you have to take into account. Nobody can predict what you will get, so ultimately it's your decision based on whether you think you've gotten a 7 in your external assessments or if the moderation was too harsh by dropping you 4 points. Since the deadline is in September, just wait until a few days before the deadline. If the re-moderation has not finished by then, then you will have to make a decision. Wait until September.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.