Subject combination for Astrospace

Suraaj

Hey guys, I’m going into IBDP-1 in a few days and I have yet not decided which subjects I should be talking in higher level and standard level. I want to purse  astrophysics, since I’m very interested in it. My doubt here is where I should be taking Chemistry as my HL subject or Comp.Science as my Hl subject 

*Note I’m taking both Comp.Science as well as Chemisty but the confusion is which should I pursue with Hl and whether they might be any consequence of doing so.

18 minutes ago, Suraaj said:

Hey guys, I’m going into IBDP-1 in a few days and I have yet not decided which subjects I should be talking in higher level and standard level. I want to purse  astrophysics, since I’m very interested in it. My doubt here is where I should be taking Chemistry as my HL subject or Comp.Science as my Hl subject 

*Note I’m taking both Comp.Science as well as Chemisty but the confusion is which should I pursue with Hl and whether they might be any consequence of doing so.

At a college-level standpoint, Comp Sci seems to be much more useful given that Astrophysics involves its fair share of extensive computations. Little to no Chemistry is involved, however it's worth noting that depending on where you go for university, your high school IB subject choice doesn't matter too much in the long run. 

In my opinion, the best possible HL subject combo for Astrophysics is HLs Physics, Math, and Computer Science. If you're interested in Astrophysics and want to continue exploring that path, taking Comp Sci at HL and Chemistry at SL seems the most logical choice. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Suraaj said:

Hey thanks a lot !

You should also look more into distinguishing between Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Aerospace Engineering as they're all different fields in Applied Physics (and Engineering for the latter) that emphasize different aspects more so than others e.g. Astronomers and Astrophysicists typically deal more often in electrostatics as well as gravitational force, whereas Aerospace Engineering heavily delves into fluid dynamics. However, all of them rely heavily on computations. 

• Like 1