HL maths IA topic involving air resistance and car roofs

themthem

My teacher recently suggested a maths IA topic that I don't think anyone has ever done before. It is about finding the surface area and volume of car roofs, and investigating how the speed of the car is affected by air resistance.

I could calculate the surface area using integration, but are there any other concepts that I could possible investigate this? For example, would going into drag coefficient be a good idea? I think it involves some calculus.

Thanks for your help!

In general drag coefficient is more of a physics topic. Speed and air resistance is also typically modeled as a linear relationship which is really not that advanced. I think just finding surface area and volume could be enough, especially since most roofs cannot be well-approximated by volume of revolution so it is challenging by itself.

9 hours ago, kw0573 said:

In general drag coefficient is more of a physics topic. Speed and air resistance is also typically modeled as a linear relationship which is really not that advanced. I think just finding surface area and volume could be enough, especially since most roofs cannot be well-approximated by volume of revolution so it is challenging by itself.

Thanks for replying!

So finding the surface area and volume was the original idea, but I thought it was too simple for a Higher Level topic.

Thanks for helping.