HL/SL choices

rams

Hey everyone, 

I’m wondering whether I should do HL Maths, Physics and Chem and SL English Lit, Chinese B and Economics or do HL economics instead of HL physics. But quite frankly I hate economics so I would preferably like to do physics at higher level because 1. It interests me and 2. I would like to do aerospace engineering after school. 

So I’m just wondering, would doing HL maths, physics and Chem be a suicidal decision? Or would I be better off doing HL maths, Chem and eco? 

Thankssss

I personally think that is a suicidal decision but if you are happy to have no free time and actually enjoy study its a great decision. I did Physics, Chem and SL maths at the beginning of my IB career and found it incredibly difficult to keep up good marks in all three as well as all the other subjects plus CAS and a life outside (which is practically impossible doing IB anyways ahaha). I dropped physics and picked up bio not sure if thats an option for you? Also for maths, I did SL but one of my friends did HL maths and we found this website called revision village which is literally a godsend! It has past papers and exams for like the past 4 years, practice exams, IB exam predictions before finals, key concepts and a video explaining all the practice questions which my teachers did not have time for!! Don't know if this helps but the link is below anyways (for HL). It really helped me just to have one website for all my maths revision so i didn't have to worry as much particularly with all my other subjects as well! Good luck with your decision :) 

https://www.revisionvillage.com/ib-maths-hl/key-concepts/aff/18/

It depends how much knowledge you have in math, physics, chemistry, before coming into IB. For example if you have excellent study habits and have scored well in these subjects, then the combination is manageable. 

Also it is very challenging to get into, AND do well in, aerospace without Physics HL. Economics is not any easier than Physics so there is no point doing Econ at HL.

It is a hard combination of HL subjects, but if you want to do aerospace engineering, you should definitely do Maths and Physics HL. If you had to change HLs, it would be "better" to drop Chemistry and do Economics instead... But that would be pointless. You want to prepare yourself for engineering, so you would benefit from doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry at HL. Economics will not give you any benefits. Yes, it will be tough with those HLs, but if you like the subjects and are good at them, you should be fine if you put in the work. If you hate economics, maybe you shouldn't do it at all; otherwise, keep it at SL so you enjoy your IB more.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 7:32 AM, kw0573 said:

It depends how much knowledge you have in math, physics, chemistry, before coming into IB. For example if you have excellent study habits and have scored well in these subjects, then the combination is manageable. 

Also it is very challenging to get into, AND do well in, aerospace without Physics HL. Economics is not any easier than Physics so there is no point doing Econ at HL.

It’s been a semester of IB so far (live in Australia) and I’m currently on a 7 in Chem, a 6 in physics and a 5 in maths. So yeah, we’re just deciding our SL/HL choices now, I think I’ll do those 3 because I really enjoy them. 

thanks for your reply :)