Business Management EE Question

Paurojas

Hi, so I am planning on writting my EE in Business Management and I wanted to look at how trade/labour unions impact the productivity of a determined company. I dont know if this is a good topic and I am having a little trouble finding any specific theories, etc. to use in my essay. Please if anyone can help me with that and also by giving me some pointers of how to tackle the EE I would apreciate it. 

Hi,

Your topic has potential, but the lack of research can be a big problem. You could look at a company and look at specific trade/labour union movements in that company (e.g. strikes, creation of new unions, etc.), and then analyse the effects of those union movements on how the company has performed over time (in terms of productivity). In terms of theories to apply, it doesn't have to be trade-union specific theories, but you could refer to motivational theories and how those can lead to resistance, labour movements and so on. But yes, finding information on this topic is difficult.

If you cannot find any good sources, consider changing topics. Did you have any other ideas? If not, consider brainstorming. Use the IB syllabus to consider which topics may interest you. Also, regardless of the topic you choose, make sure you use a company which has a lot of information available (large public companies usually have the highest amount). If you are still stuck, why not look at business or financial news to get an idea of of what topics/issues you could approach.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Your topic seems ok. I organized my own EE based on the Business Management syllabus and got a B. The easiest way to plan your essay I think is to just pull out your business textbook and make as many connections to subtopics as you can (theories, analysis techniques, etc.), and organize your points in a logical way. Make sure you have a LOT of sources so that you can analyse the situation more deeply.